Carvana offered $2.2K more than Carmax! Without a physical inspection - Can this be true?

5 Likes

Noob move… but I didn’t think the flaming would be this bad…
You guys are harsh - but definitely helpful!

2 Likes

[ Duplicate ] 202020202020200202

Thanks ,that’s what I thought, Over the phone they told me that they would match the price quote. But my gut feeling told me otherwise and you just confirmed it. So Carvana it is.

Was the final price they gave you same as the quote that you received from the website?

I helped a friend in the hospital sell her car and Vroom offered significantly more than Carvana. No problems - completely easy, they paid off her loan and deposited the balance in her account the same day as they picked up the car. Amazing.

I got an appraisal from Carmax and they came in at $15,000. I went online and got a quote from Vroom and they were at $16000. When I went to the dealer, they matched the Vroom offer without even asking to see it. I was pleased since I didn’t have to screw around and just traded on site.

1 Like

I have never gotten a ‘serious’ offer from Carmax through the years. They can suckit.

Carmax has been hit or miss for me. They gave the highest offer on my 2018 S90 (which I accepted), an ok offer on my 2017 Expedition - just above KBB trade-in but higher than Carvana or Vroom (which I declined and sold privately for $5k more), but some crap offers on older vehicles they were definitely going to auction.

I thought Carvana do not take cars with prior accidents.

I’m not sure, I answered the question honestly and they made an offer.

Knowing they are perhaps overpaying for inventory and not being too picky about accidents how likely are you to buy a used car from Carvana?

1 Like

The presence of the accident should be verifiable via Carfax/Autocheck (and if its not then I’m not sure another dealer would advertise it as wrecked either). My concern with Carvana is the same as it is with Carmax, higher than market purchase prices.

usually dealerships offer more then carmax at least from my experience. Most of the auto group dealerships go by kbb now.

When they come pick your car up, what kind of insepection do they do or how intensive is it? I have some rust on the car, wondering how much they would knock the price down.

1 Like

YES. Exactly as quoted. Keep in mind the car was in perfect condition.

I wonder if carmax/carvana make money on the back end with financing or other add ons. Does seem like they pay above market value on occasion.

Of course they do. How else would they be in business? They specifically market their cars to people with credit issues and then sell there famous extended warranty which is crazy and then all of those products are rolled in to the principal loan amount.

I don’t think Carmax markets specifically to credit challenged people, as they are the largest used car dealer network in the nation. I don’t know enough about Carvana to comment on them.

1 Like

Every time I have walked in to their stores for appraisals, I walk around and check their prices on the lot and notice that the so called No-negotiation price is always pretty high and sometimes even compared to regular dealers of that same model. I wouldn’t see why anyone would great credit would not just go through a credit union or just a regular dealership and get a cpo.

Personally, I wouldn’t shop at those “no negotiation” dealers for that very reason…the prices are always higher than you can get haggling. With that said, there are plenty of people out there that don’t want to be bothered, or don’t do their homework, and think that the no haggle dealerships are painless and reasonable.

1 Like