Care by Volvo - $600/mo XC40 15k/24m

Volvo announced a new program that is akin to cell phone leasing:

https://www.volvocars.com/us/cars/new-models/xc40/care-by-volvo

$600 includes:

Every Care by Volvo plan includes premium insurance by Liberty Mutual, factory scheduled maintenance, tire and wheel road hazard protection as well as excess wear and use protection at vehicle return. You’ll also receive a 15,000 annual mile allowance with your 24-month subscription. And you can upgrade to a new car after the first 12 months.

Thoughts? They max out around 42-43k MSRP, but if you factor in the insurance, protection plans, and service including brakes, it is semi-tempting. Nothing up front, no MSDs, and you can switch cars 12 mos in.

1 Like

All Volvos have 3 free services included as well as some excess wear and tear credit.

@Ursus I didn’t see anything about the wear and tear credit and the F&I guy said there was almost nothing in Allowance.
Still have had the time to read everything in detail but do you know how much credit Volvo allows for wear and tear?
Thanks.

I think there is default amount they forgive, but maybe they changed it. It used to be like $500 or $1K, don’t remember exactly.

Lessee is responsible for excess wear above $1,000 waiver and mileage over 15,000 miles/year at $0.25 / mile. Excludes taxes, title and registration fees and is available for qualified customers based on FICO score through Volvo Car Financial Services. Care by Volvo is available at participating dealers. Offer valid for orders placed on volvocars.com by June 30, 2018.

I feel like this isn’t a good deal unless your insurance is super high already. I pay around $1000 for 6 months on my lease and I am 20 with one accident on my record.

EDIT: And it doesn’t look like it includes taxes or registration fees

And I don’t need 15K miles, but there is no option to get 7.5K. Maybe they will offer it later. Their idea (at least partially) is to get urban dwellers who use zipcar and such, I think.

Curious how insurance will work.

Will they insure anyone? Accidents / tickets? Can you rent at the same $600 if you live in a high cost insurance market (Detroit) and have a ticket?

Insurance is probably the same as you insure on your own and you pay tickets.

At first blush, this sounds like a good deal, but take a deeper dive into the numbers. Unless you’re paying through the nose for insurance, this deal is bovine feces.

The XC40 will likely lease for much less than the payment and the maintenance is an oil change a year.

And it’s free anyway.

I thought Volvo killed off the included maintenance. They’ll cheerfully sell you a maintenance plan.

They killed 5 years.

THE PRIVILEGES OF OWNERSHIP

At Volvo, we’re committed to providing an exceptional ownership experience for all our customers. That’s why all Volvo models, sold new and registered in the U.S. by an authorized Volvo dealer, include Complimentary Factory Scheduled Maintenance. This covers the first three services (10,000 miles, 20,000 miles and 30,000 miles) at no charge.*

*3 years or up to 36,000 miles.

https://www.volvocars.com/us/own/owner-info/service-by-volvo/schedule-service

1 Like

Does $600 include taxes? Probably not. To lease it on a 36 mo 15k lease with a good deal is still probably $480ish including tax with nothing down. Figuring my insurance will run about $160 at least that’s not bad.

Haha
20 characters …

If you have to pay tax on top - in SoCal it’s $657 per month for a $40k car - seems pretty convenient, but not a great deal - unless your insurance cost is over $200 per month. Great concept though! Just like your overpriced iPhone. Anyone know when delivery will be?

Looks like a standard lease but with all the F&I stuff bundled in. Personally, I’m careful with my cars and opt-out of excess wear/tear and wheel/tire protection every time. I prefer a la carte over a package deal…

The car itself is very nice. It was one of my favorites at yesterday’s LA Auto Show, and it’s really targeted well to young professional city-dwellers, which is fine by me. I mean, look at this brand film:

Coffee, jogging, San Francisco, and lofts. Sign me up!

Good that Geely let Swedes make Volvo commercials :slight_smile:
(and cars, for that matter)

Doh! Thanks for setting me straight.

Seems fundamentally flawed. This is meant to appeal to young ubranites but is priced based on a ton of driving @ 15k miles a year? If someone needs a car for 15k miles a year, you may as well lease or buy, what is the point of a subscription? Also $600 a month for a $41k model sounds silly.

No down payment required. Care by Volvo subscription monthly lease payment of $600 for 24 months, based on $41,445 MSRP of 2019 XC40 T5 AWD Momentum, and $700 for 24 months, based on $45,240 MSRP of 2019 XC40 T5 AWD R-Design.

2 Likes