Car payment relief during Coronavirus + incentive programs such as 'zero interest' and deferred payments

Can some one confirm if the consumer has to pay interest on the deferred payments when the time comes? ( I tried calling BMWFS about this but couldn’t get hold of a rep)

While this isn’t a new lease deal it’s still a pretty slick deal anyway…

BMW FS just extended my lease 1 month for free and gave me prorated extra mileage until the end of May.

They said it’s because my dealership is closed that they are able to offer me that option.

3 Likes

OP updated with links to incentives such as ‘zero interest’ and 90-120 day deferral of payments

1 Like

Just an update on my previous situation. The local Land Rover dealer refused to take the lease back because they wanted us to extend the lease. We ended up returning it to a Land Rover dealer about an hour away.

They took the car back about two and a half weeks early. I didn’t care about getting any money back. I was over the mileage anyway. Everything was done outside in the parking lot.

We recently received an invoice from CHASE bank and they charged us $300 instead of the $500 fee we were supposed to pay upon returning the car. Also, they didn’t charge us for the over mileage. We were over about 3,000 miles.

We did not lease another car at this time. We have an extra car for now and I’d rather not have the extra monthly payment at this time.

3 Likes

What money do you think you should have gotten back?

1 Like

Ha, they probably did this so they didn’t have to find places to park cars, plus they probably get a write off.

I never thoughts of that. :joy:

Sorry. I did t write that correctly. Some people on this thread wrote about returning the lease early to get out of paying for the rest of it.

I wasn’t looking to return the car to get out of making payments. I made my last payment for all of April, but returned the car in the first week of April. I was over the miles anyway, I just didn’t want to be stuck with the car longer than I had to.

Hope this clarifies.

I think most places allow you to return up to 30-60 days early without early termination fee in the old world order, as long as you make payments of course.

I was just offered a 5 month extension on my stelvio lease ending next month. Lender is Ally. 20% payment discount. I can end the extension at any time during the extension.

2 Likes

Very interesting… CC: @RVguy

1 Like

Are you gonna have to do that spark plug service though? I can’t wait to get rid of my stelvio but if they let me keep it a few months for $300/mo I might.

1 Like

I just don’t need the car so won’t keep it. I’ll still have a Giulia to keep me happy.

I thought about this post walking my dog this morning when I started talking to a neighbor looking for a fun weekend car. He thought a CPO Giulia could be it since it’s astonishing depreciation means it wouldn’t cost nearly as much for Virginia personal property tax as a BMW or Audi. But he said he couldn’t find any CPO Alfas in DC area. Looking online, I also can’t readily find any CPO Alfas in the region.

Can’t imagine what the resale value on these off lease cars will be if you can’t CPO them. I wonder if FCA realized CPOing an Alfa is infeasible due to their poor reliability.

I’m sure it was asked before, but I can’t find it.
If I understand it correctly, BMW is paying 2 monthly lease payments on new leases. I saw the dollar amounts and most models on their site.
What I couldn’t find is whether M series cars are eligible for this. I would like to get into an M4 and this would be a nice benefit. TIA

Yes the M cars are eligible. The M4 incentive corresponds to the 4 series incentive, M5 to 5 series, etc.

It is not an MSRP based incentive, it is model based

Is BMW playing 2 monthly lease payments on people who already have BMWs or new leases I’m confused on the wording there. It says “loyalty” but what does that actually mean.

Here you go

3 Likes

So two months ago when all this started I called Audi about deferring payments and they told me they were doing two months deferred to the end of your lease, which I then signed up for. I looked at my latest statement yesterday and it appears as though the two payments disappeared completely instead of being deferred - my “paid” and “remaining payments” now add up to 34 instead of 36 and my lease end date hasn’t changed. Did Audi later change their policy to just forgiving two payments instead of deferring? Anyone else notice this?

That’s an interesting new albeit two months too late

1 Like