Can lease still be better than purchase?

Or even a Signed! post.

2 Likes

It was only $400 under, MSRP was $25232, $24060 with $1272 in manufacturer options (blind spot monitoring, etc). Sale price was $24232 plus $600 alarm.

There was also about $4k in dealer adds I mentioned earlier.

The whole car alarm thing was weirdā€¦ I thought all new cars came with them nowadays. Finance guy said Toyota lets the dealers add them for some profit which didnā€™t make sense to me.

The lease was 10k/39/350+tax/.00154MF/56%.

1 Like

$400 off msrp and 4K in free dealer add ons? Please post a redacted contract or this didnā€™t happen. Most people would also tag the broker who helped get them their deals.

1 Like

I read it as $400 off MSRP ($1k off but $600 alarm), and he got them to drop the $4k in dealer adds they wanted to put on the car. Probably mostly soft adds I would guess (warranty, wheel and tire, excess wear, gap, fancier air in tires, etc)

1 Like

Broker is @Jeff_BeachCitiesAuto

I did take a pic of the offer sheet:

Only thing they put on there was the alarm.

Here are the adds (not soft ones either):frowning:

When I was doing the numbers earlierā€¦ I think they ended up charging me $795 for the alarm because the payment went up by a few bucks in Finance but I was already worn out and was close enough (if the dealer adds were not included, I would have probably fought more).

I even checked to see if the adds were there, handles and door edge guards, tint (fully tinted including front windows actually) and I didnā€™t know what brake alert was until I saw it in action, the 3rd brake light blinks fast then slow then steady when stopping (I googled it and found it was a common dealer addā€¦ although probably not worth $695). They have signs touting ā€˜No Markupsā€™ but as you can seeā€¦ the adds are basically a $4k-5k markup.

And just to clarify, it was the dealership doing these shenanigans, Jeff had already brokered the terms and they were the ones messing with it.

But still an okay dealā€¦ the base payment was about $353 before tax. I tried to set it up in the calculator but I am bad at that.

1 Like

Oofā€¦ terrible

1 Like

It was an under MSRP deal even after dealer add ons, how is that terrible?

3 Likes

Thereā€™s $5k in hard adds on there. Did you sell him the car $5k (or more ) below MSRP?

What am I missing here?

1 Like

I didnā€™t pay for any of the add-ons except the alarm and the price was still below MSRP.

MSRP is $25,332ā€¦ with add ons $30,607.

Agreed on price was $24,232 ($1100 less than MSRP, $6k+ less than asking price)ā€¦ add on the alarm for $595/$795 and it was still below MRSP of $25332.

2 Likes

Ahh ok. I thought you paid all those adds. My bad.

I was gonna say wtf.

1 Like

Apart from the alarm, were the other add-ons that you were not charged for already installed on the car? Just curious.

1 Like

That was the first question I texted Jeff when I saw it and was very surprised when he said no.

Best thingā€¦ I didnā€™t have to negotiate on any of themā€¦ the salesguy kept sayingā€¦ ā€œWait you arenā€™t getting charged for these?ā€

Highly recommend Jeff if youā€™re looking for a Toyota in SoCal. Iā€™m sure other brokers are good too but my experience with him was very easy and he was very communicative.

Not sure if it was okay to detail my deal here but based on my skepticism when I first posted on this thread and how long Iā€™ve been looking at Toyotas (and mostly every other brand), I thought I would correct myself and say that you can get close to a $299 lease (although in the past, it would have been on some luxury car :slight_smile: ).

As for the original topicā€¦ we did choose to lease over purchase. A 72-mo purchase was at 4.49% and I know CUs probably have better financing but had to move quick so maybe Iā€™ll look at some CUs later.

3 Likes

Already installed which is why I was surprised I did not get charged. I think most of those things are nominal costā€¦ altogether maybe less than $1kā€¦ the most useful being the tint and door/handle guards.

I wouldnā€™t even think the alarm cost over $500ā€¦ just probably some switch they turn on at the dealership.

1 Like

Congrats on your deal, I hope to do something similar.

Just started looking at CU rates and so far the Toyota APR is better.

1 Like

did it come with an extra remote for the alarm?
if not, they probably did nothing.
But, regardless, donā€™t even think about that. Just focus on net cost, which, like you said, is approx $400 under MSRP. Thatā€™s definitely more doable than the $1k (for a base model) Toyota is advertising on their website. Vehicles like this usually have only a few hundred bucks between sticker and invoice. So sounds like they were probably very close to invoice on your deal. Good job, @Jeff_BeachCitiesAuto !

4 Likes

Same remoteā€¦ salesguy gave me some spiel where KARR is integrated with Toyotaā€™s locking system.

In the endā€¦ it buys back some time because my kid was really looking to buy a 90s Supra so this alleviates that whole headache for a few years.

You mean while prices keep appreciating lol

Maybe he meant 1991? :smiley:

Whatā€™s the first thing riding the coattails of a 4th gen Supra?

A 3rd gen Supra.

Yeanā€¦ sorryā€¦ meant the older Supra, Mk2 or Mk3. Late 80s, early 90s.

When I was younger, those cars seemed hugeā€¦ now not so much.