Can I use this info from the carfax report as leverage for a bigger discount?

That’s for a demo car and includes the demo rebate.

Can you link some explorer ST deals at 12+%?

1 Like

I was essentially offered the following:

-5k off MSRP which is considered employee pricing on it
-2k manufacturer demo debate
-1.2k negated from the RV hit. Essentially can be considered as another 1200 in MSRP discount

In sum, 8.2k.

Truth be told, I would be comfortable finalizing if another 1k is taken off and if I can be given Ford’s end of lease wear&tear warranty at some sort of heavy discount. I’m just not sure if this is unreasonable to ask.

I think you’re confused here. The RV hit makes the deal worse, not better. It turns that $7k into $5.8k, not $8.2k.

(Unless I’ve misread and they’re waiving the demo RV hit somehow)

ok now that’s a better listing: See how a lot of info is missing and this conversation would’ve started in a better place.

5k - Dealer Discount
2k - Demo Mileage Discount
1.2k Accident discount

Ok all you are missing now is the payment and the RV.

Are you using A plan? If so can they even go below that? Not sure the rules on demos.

How married to the idea of driving an Explorer around are you? They’re not exactly great cars and I think there’s better value out there.

Shameless BMW plug.

Have you looked at Volvo’s and BMWs in the market place? Does it need to be a three-row mid size crossover/SUV?

2 Likes

I know that. I was saying that the 1.2k from the RV hit was negated. I think waiving would be the wrong term since they can’t just waive it but rather negate it by offering an equal MSRP discount of the hit

Ok, let’s clarify.

Ignoring any discussion about RV, what is the actual discount they’re offering?

$6200 dealer discount + $2000 manufacturer demo discount?

If they’re offering you 8.2k and the RV hit brings it down to 7k then you’re right back to square one, anyways.

You’re still only getting 8% dealer discount on a 5,500 mile demo with what appears with accident history. I think you should shoot for 12% to 15% dealer discount before manufacturer incentives. I do not have other data points for this car, but the luxury Marques are selling their loaners and demos with higher mileage for closer to 15% discount or higher before manufacturer incentives.

I only mention those makes because you’re looking at a 60k Explorer (yikes). An X5 is 5k to 10k higher in Msrp and will most likely lease better. Just food for thought.

Sorry about that, yes I’ll clarify and thanks for all the help so far.

Yes, you’re right. 6200 in dealer discount + 2000 manufacturer demo discount.

To @LeaserOC: The dealer discount is formally considered employee pricing but I am not handing any employee discount pins or anything. It was voluntary from the dealer

This explorer is new release, it’s basically a new car for Ford.
When I said you can get 12%, that applies to cars that have previous model years, not this one as I see.
So it doesn’t even have much mention on Edmunds.

So his discounts are nice, but without knowing final payments, it’s tough to take a car with an accident history.

PS : My local dealers are offering 12% off their new Explorer STs with Sams Club pricing. So I take my statement back. haha

Unless the car is poorly priced, this isn’t a hill I would choose to fight and die on.

The dealer knows what they have and have more than likely priced it to account for that.

That’s cool, I’m well aware of the Explorer St, it’s development, and how poorly it’s performed and been evaluated by reviewers and customers.

I’m saying that regardless of whether or not this vehicle is brand new or been around for five years, it is now punching way above its price-market because it’s been priced in the 60k+ arena.

There’s better value out there on the luxury segment that has much higher subvened rates and is heavily incentivized by their captives. Hell, in OPs place I would forgo the three rows and lease an X3M for about the same.

This is all to say, I think Ford has vastly overvalued the Explorer ST proposition in a segment with better value for the money. That’s not the customers fault, but is the customers fault for giving 60k to ford for a SUV that in my internet opinion should be closer to 45k.

2 Likes

What incentives are they including in that as well?

Huh? This is mileage penalty, has nothing to do with the accident. IF there is any accident discount, it would be in the $5k dealer discount.

The 2021 ST base price is dropping by $2135 with zero option changes. Maybe bring that to the table too. You should be getting more of a discount, if not for what you’ll be paying a month you’d be in a nice Volvo.

2 Likes

Almost 40 replies in and there’s no answer to the crux of the question. Because it’s unanswerable. Instead this thread has taken on a life of its own trying to correct the steady stream of misinformation from @forbs.

No one here can coach you through a conversation about how to ask for additional discount. Phrase it however you want. It doesn’t really matter. Almost no one is a good enough negotiator that merely their words will sway a GM, who does this day in and day out. Take your shot, make an offer, it really doesn’t matter how you phrase it at this point.

4 Likes

Okay, this is fair enough and I agree. I just didn’t want the GM to be put off by my offer to the extent that they drop the deal altogether and stop bothering, which in today’s climate is certainly not unheard of. It has been very hard to come across any deal and I don’t want this to fall through so I am trying to be careful.

Anyhow, I just sent over my proposition… and now we wait!

Considering this an explorer, and with how poor the new explorer reviews, this would probably be the best case scenario. Ford really phoned it in on this one.