Can I use this info from the carfax report as leverage for a bigger discount?

Well what we are missing is info:
Lease vs buy
Price of Car
How many miles

You have now provided 2 of the above 3 info needed to give you a good answer.

What kind of Dealer would allow a untitled car to have a carfax like that.

Lets just say after you get it it starts listing to the right or you start having issues with the axle from the accident.
You can’t lemon the car, it was in an accident
You can’t return the car, it’s a lease.
You can’t trade in the car for any value, the carfax defeats it.

My honest answer, run away from it.

Why not, lessors always take on resale risk. They have brand new cars come back after accidents involving the lessee. They even re-sell as CPO unless it fails some criteria like it’s structural etc

1 Like

Because that’s AFTER the fact, not before the sale.
Right now that car will Wholesale at least 20% under market value at any time with a carfax like that.

when they lease they are risking that the car won’t be in an accident, not risking that the car has been in one already.

Theres the RV in a lease, so a car with an accident should have a lower RV right?

That’s not how leasing actually works for the captives. Demos get leased out by BMWFS, MBFS, etc even with reports on their carfax. They deduct RV for miles and that’s it.

1 Like

Sorry for the lack of info… so to be more clear:

This is a lease
MSRP of 60k
5500 mile demo

As far as issues with the car after I complete the lease…I figured this wouldn’t be a problem based on how the carfax report is worded in the original photo I posted. Or maybe this could have had a noteworthy accident. Are there ways to manipulate things so the carfax doesn’t reflect the actual magnitude of the event?

Exactly! So his RV is less on this car, therefore he’s making more payments, and all he is getting is 12% off?
12% is what a new car should go for.

His payments must be higher now that the RV went down.

And for Poster, they don’t read the carfax or care except for the part ‘Accident Report’ anything in the comments means nothing.

Speaking of which, the hit on the RV from the miles was compensated by the dealer. It was $1200 in residual hit that the manager chose to take/eat the loss on and not reflect the increase in price that it would have otherwise.

@forbs

Assuming you have shopped around for other new or demo units to know what type of additional discount is reasonable. Simply take your shot from there.

“Exactly” what? The RV deduction had nothing to do with any accidents or any carfax.

Where are you coming up with this 12% number for a brand new model here?

1 Like

60k car 7k off, 12% off?

That’s for a demo car and includes the demo rebate.

Can you link some explorer ST deals at 12+%?

1 Like

I was essentially offered the following:

-5k off MSRP which is considered employee pricing on it
-2k manufacturer demo debate
-1.2k negated from the RV hit. Essentially can be considered as another 1200 in MSRP discount

In sum, 8.2k.

Truth be told, I would be comfortable finalizing if another 1k is taken off and if I can be given Ford’s end of lease wear&tear warranty at some sort of heavy discount. I’m just not sure if this is unreasonable to ask.

I think you’re confused here. The RV hit makes the deal worse, not better. It turns that $7k into $5.8k, not $8.2k.

(Unless I’ve misread and they’re waiving the demo RV hit somehow)

ok now that’s a better listing: See how a lot of info is missing and this conversation would’ve started in a better place.

5k - Dealer Discount
2k - Demo Mileage Discount
1.2k Accident discount

Ok all you are missing now is the payment and the RV.

Are you using A plan? If so can they even go below that? Not sure the rules on demos.

How married to the idea of driving an Explorer around are you? They’re not exactly great cars and I think there’s better value out there.

Shameless BMW plug.

Have you looked at Volvo’s and BMWs in the market place? Does it need to be a three-row mid size crossover/SUV?

2 Likes

I know that. I was saying that the 1.2k from the RV hit was negated. I think waiving would be the wrong term since they can’t just waive it but rather negate it by offering an equal MSRP discount of the hit

Ok, let’s clarify.

Ignoring any discussion about RV, what is the actual discount they’re offering?

$6200 dealer discount + $2000 manufacturer demo discount?

If they’re offering you 8.2k and the RV hit brings it down to 7k then you’re right back to square one, anyways.

You’re still only getting 8% dealer discount on a 5,500 mile demo with what appears with accident history. I think you should shoot for 12% to 15% dealer discount before manufacturer incentives. I do not have other data points for this car, but the luxury Marques are selling their loaners and demos with higher mileage for closer to 15% discount or higher before manufacturer incentives.

I only mention those makes because you’re looking at a 60k Explorer (yikes). An X5 is 5k to 10k higher in Msrp and will most likely lease better. Just food for thought.