Can I trade in a leased Ford Expedition before lease end?

I have a leased 2021 Ford Expedition that I would like to trade in on a Jeep Grand Cherokee 4Xe for my wife. Can I trade in a leased Ford Expedition before the lease ends? There are 16 months left on the lease. Do I have to buy the Expedition from Ford before I can trade it?

I am hoping to basically swap the 2021 Ford Expedition Limited with 23k miles for a 2022 Jeep GC 4Xe Summit. They have about the same MSRP(~$74k).

I just would like to get her something with better fuel economy(14 mpg right now) that has a nicer interior for about the same price.

sell the ford and buy the lease seperately. Otherwise the dealer might ‘steal’ any equity.

I don’t think Carvana or Vroom will buy leases. They are both really struggling right now too.

I really just want to know if I take the Expedition into a Jeep dealer to trade it are they going to say that they can’t trade for leased Ford vehicles? I can’t get over to the dealer until this weekend or I would ask them myself.

Does Ford prohibit any other brand from taking a leased Ford in as a trade in?

ford dealer can buy out leases as long as it is not maturing in 120 days

you need to hunt which ford dealer will give you the best proce

2 Likes

Ford PREVENTS it.

But if you go to Autonation or South Shore or some big dealership that has a Ford and Jeep dealership, you can go to Jeep, and they can say I’m a Ford/Jeep Dealer and take it in.

But I mean Sell to the Ford Dealer, walk over to the Jeep Dealer and buy your new ride. Doing it at the same dealer tempts them to get you in the shuffle.

Like what happened with this guy Honda Odyssey Sport Swap Lease trade - #234 by Bluemkn57cars

2 Likes

There is no equity in the Ford. At best it is a wash. I have quotes from Carvana, CarMax, and Vroom as if I had title in hand. They are all slightly less than residual + remaining depreciation.

I don’t want to deal with buying the car first then selling it or trying to sell it to Ford separately. I just want to do one transaction even if I have to pay some for that convenience.

All I can say is an ‘shady dealer’ can make it sound like you are getting XXX for your ford when in fact they are buying it LOWER and passing some Negative Equity into your Jeep.

Do what you want, but always remember that Dealers like to wear you down. The guy in the link above had at least 2 times he could’ve backed out and and instead went the way that is going to ruin his credit.

1 Like

Ford has addtl restrictions involving originating dealer too iirc

1 Like

I appreciate all of the good advice. I understand that they will try to hide extra profit in the transaction. However, I really just want to know if they will say “we can’t buy your Ford at all because it is leased”.

Is my only option to find a Jeep dealer that also has a sister Ford dealership if I want to trade the Ford into a Jeep dealership?

So basically I am stuck in this lease till the term ends if I don’t want another Ford? If so then that is fine. It can wait till next year.

either you eat the negative equity or keep the car

you can get out of the lease at a Ford only dealer - i tried two autonarions hyundai and honda and ford refused to sell them

i went to an independent ford dealer and they were successfully able to buy it out

you need to find a dealer who knows how to do it - lot of ford dealers kept telling me i need to buy it out pay taxes and then sell the dealer

1 Like

TLDR: if the originating dealer doesn’t play ball it’s a pitia

3 Likes

my originating dealer was Chapman Ford Horsham - so that could be the case too

#teamtomborah

1 Like

Ford allows lease transfers, so you may be able to get someone to transfer the lease to.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.