Can a deposit hold the number's we've discussed?

So I’ve been messaging dealers and I’m really close on numbers with one, enough to the point that I’m willing to go in and start the process. But my concern is that the truck isn’t currently on their lot, just listed on there website. They are telling me that the truck is in transit to them but they don’t have a specific ETA on when it will arrive. The want me to put down a deposit to hold the truck, which I’m willing to do. Just being new to leasing I’m not sure if this is a red flag? If all I’m currently doing is putting a deposit down to claim I want the truck can they change or re-work the numbers when the truck shows up on there lot? Like pull a fast one on me?

Putting a deposit down isn’t abnormal. Have them give you the numbers in writing as part of the deposit agreement.

So I do have an offer letter from them with some of the basic numbers including the monthly payment. They don’t have the RF and Money factor in the form or the break down of rebates/incentives. Which is something I’ve discussed with them and is why I say were close but not 100% there yet. But from all the dealerships I’ve talked to they are the only ones willing to work with me. Every other dealer wants to sell for over MSRP or are being super shady on the incentives they are putting in the deal.

Do you have a monthly and das amount you’re happy with? If so, who cares about the rest.

I don’t have a DAS yet but I do have a monthly that I’m happy with. And they are aware of my money down, which I’m happy with and its stated in the offer letter from them. My biggest concern with all this was if they were going to try and change the monthly/numbers all together once the truck showed up on the lot. And if the deposit meant anything more than then the truck would be mine, or if the numbers we discussed where locked in for that truck once it hit their lot?

And the VIN.

To the offer letter? The letter does detail everything about the truck including the VIN.

Good. Does it spell out whether the deposit is refundable?

The offer letter show a 0 in the deposit area. Verbally over the phone they told me the deposit to hold the truck was full refundable.

I’d get something in writing then.

1 Like

Ok thanks, yeah they keep telling me inventory is going fast and wanting me to put a deposit down. But I want to go in to make sure I get everything in writing and have them appraise my current truck. I have an offer from carvana that I don’t think they will match or beat but I’m going to give them a chance and since I’m there get all this in writing.

1 Like

How do they know the truck is coming? Do they expect the truck to be at their dealership before month’s end? They should at least be able to tell you something. Car transporters don’t just show up at dealerships.

When I was on the phone with them, they looked up the truck, and it’s statue was “in transit”. But they said they couldn’t give me an ETA cause the site didn’t have anymore info. Just that the truck was built and in transit. He said it could show up tomorrow or in a couple weeks. Which one of my concerns was what was I going to drive in between potentially selling them my current truck and waiting for this new one to hit the lot. He said if they bought my current truck from me, that he’d give me a loaner car to drive in the mean time.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.