California Registration and transfer fee (from out of state)

Yes, and you’ll get to pay them every year.

Also. If the car has under 7500 miles on it, you need to verify that it is 50 state compliant for emissions and has then sticker under the hood that declares as such.

1 Like

They just charged me (ca dmv) almost 600 dollars for a lease take over. I am thinking maybe they did something wrong. Does that sound correct for out of state transfer.

What car is it? CA DMV is pretty expensive.

If you brought it in from out of state, welcome to CA. On the bright side, you get to pay that every year.

1 Like

$45000 bmw 5series. It is just a lease transfer. Something seems off. I thought the whole point of a lease takeover is not to pay so much out of pocket initially.

12 posts were merged into an existing topic: Off Topic Landfill 3

Seems totally normal for CA to me. Annual registration is generally 1-1.5% of market value. Then add in some transfer fees and all that jazz, and $600 is par for the course.

There is no 45K 5-series. 5-series start with 56K. Normally CA DMV is ~1.1-1.2% of MSRP so it makes sense

1 Like

Sounds like a great idea. You can then pay full sales tax on a lease.

3 Likes

Welcome to CA. DMV fees are high and 600 is about right.

Just for argument’s sake…

If we take a hypothetical $50k car with a 50% RV on a 3 year lease, in Texas, you’d pay ~6% tax on the whole lease, so $3k.

In much of CA, you’ll pay ~10% tax on the depreciated value/rent charge/etc, so $2500 or so. Add in $1500ish in registration over 3 years, and it doesn’t take much for Texas registration amounts to make it a cheaper place to lease if you look at total lease cost.

Obviously, one could run actual numbers to get a more accurate picture.

Thanks for saying this. 6% tax on whole lease amount isnt that terrible compared to 10% on depreciation amount

It’s still worse, but it’s not THAT much worse, and a huge registration fee is just more taxes spread out annually.

Does TX not have annual registration fees? Every state I’ve lived in has some annual reg fees

Oh, I’m sure they probably do, but most states are a fraction of what CA is.

This is one of the dumbest threads on LHF…

1. “Reg was paid in TX so why would I need to pay it in CA?”

2. Couldn’t be bothered to google either an exact or ballpark number for CA reg.

3. Doesn’t care about state income tax or COL, but the relative pittance of reg is such a hardship that I’ll move a couple thousand miles

2 Likes

Sometimes being reminded of more ways you’re getting bent over can help bring some clarity.

Maybe but I doubt it in this case. Guaranteed the OP was unaware of TX’s lease taxation structure when they assumed it would be cheaper there.

1 Like

It’s all subjective. On my XC60, the registration renewal last month was $500. If it was $1000 and Texas was $0, I wouldn’t move.

When I lived in VA and paid the car tax, I still leased, just less expensive cars (I had an Accord I financed before the WRX and Mazda3). There are a lot of reasons to leave a state, or choose to move to another state, I don’t see how the cost of your car registration even makes the list.

1 Like

Sure, I just find it a bit amusing when people talk about how much more expensive leases in Texas are than in CA because of the sales tax. By the time you factor in the non-tax “taxes”, it really isn’t the different, it just isn’t all up front.