California Proposes upping EV Rebate (CVRP) from $2500 to $10k

<20 Characters or so>

I get this thinking, but if you can afford a Tesla, you don’t need a subsidy. Wouldn’t you rather see CA government become better stewards of tax dollars?

Yes, you’re owed. “The government” (meaning other taxpayers) should give you free stuff.

The key word on that articla is… “SOME” people. not ALL people. =)

I see these type of “rebates” as part of a state-led initiative to get some real legs under the EV-movement. This has been done for decades (in one form or another) throughout the world to bolster (and protect) an industry… for it to properly mature and compete in the world market.

I’m all for the additional rebates, I used to live in NJ and if this existed at the time… I’d definitely take advantage of it. I do, however, think they shouldn’t limit it to one particular vehicle.

When can I get this rebate? I am looking for a new EV.

You can’t. It hasn’t passed through the legislature yet and is not law. In fact right now you can’t even get the current $2,500 rebate because the legislature did not fund the program.

Tirpitz, thanks. You know when it will pass? I can wait a few months. This is big savings.

May be this is not so hot. Internet search says this is Tesla bill. One financial site says the rebate is not going to happen or it is just for Tesla and Nissan cars. Is that right?

I wouldn’t bet against California special interests getting their way. Special interests run the show in California.

Watch what they do, not all the posturing and posing beforehand.

As you’ve read it may or may not pass. Final language is not set hold on to your hats because what they do pass might not be anything close to what people are speculating about. Also even if it passes the Governor might veto it.

There is also the question of how to pay for it. The authors of the bill want cap and trade money. So do a zillion other lawmakers. Might be a moot point if they pass it without funding, much like the current situation where the rebate exists but there is no money for it.

I just read that the bill has been changed, and that the increase in the rebate is no longer in the bill.

maybe it’s changed for now, but these things can keep popping back like an old girlfriend.

It’s not over till it’s over and perhaps you don’t want to watch too closely (for your own sanity) how politics and sausage come to be.

I wouldn’t drive one of these POS if they gave it to me free. Love to drive and I cut of any prius I can. Smell the fumes of my V8 exhaust…muahahahah

With those increased rates of federal and state EV rebates, driving a free car as a very heavily subsidized lease is kind of the point of the whole thread.

Ever drive a Tesla or an i3? I love em.

1 Like

You’re an embarrassment.

Way out of my range. I can’t afford an 100,000 car even with 20k off. Tesla or i3 didn’t even pop in my head. I thought we were talking Volt, leaf, prius that crap. Those cars you mention are in a complete different class, and cannot be compared.

Wow! Your comments made me laugh. The large rebates (what this thread is about) are for ALL ELECTRIC cars with much smaller rebates for the hybrids (Volt, Prius, etc). There are a bunch of all electrics to choose from now and most are NOT crap. My Bolt does 0-60 in six seconds, which is probably comparable to your V8. I’m not a greeny at all. My choice to buy three purely electric cars was based on the performance of the vehicles AND the cost after rebates AND the cost of electricity as a fuel. I’m saving boatloads of money and I’m driving really fun cars (Chevy Bolt EV, Hyundai Ioniq EV, and Honda Fit EV).

@Kevin949. Nobody cares about your opinion. Why would you post a nagative statement on a thread that is of interest to people that want these types of cars?