California banning new gas car sales in 2035

I wish they did :sob:

3 Likes

Thank god for more slogans.

This topic is in quite a few forums, guess newsom wanted to do something headline worthy for attention. Go figure, wonder how much they will lose from the gas tax.

Add to the all new home solar mandate and new construction coming behind it. Solar is not one size fits all, like tahoe, where it actually snows as I don’t think politicians know that, solar panels will break within the first year. Still have to put them in. So in a year we need to garbage them, but wait the landfills aren’t equipped to take them… good thinking

1 Like

California… the only place where if there isn’t enough wind, there not enough power and if there’s too much wind, they shut off the power.

Come again? Snow breaks solar panels within a year?

2 Likes

Might want to tell the Germans that snow breaks solar panels. They have a lot on houses, and have done for many years, and they get a lot of snow :sob:

Bring it on. I see this as more of a signal to get car manufacturers to accelerate the production and adoption of zero-emission vehicles. Other jurisdictions around the world have similar mandates, and manufacturers will have to comply with those plans as well.

Even if certain manufacturers lobby and succeed in changing the requirements (e.g., allow a small percentage of their new sales to be polluting), the EO still gets us closer to the goal of reducing vehicle emissions including GHG.

6 Likes

Just let them float away. I’m good with 49 states.

1 Like

We need to engineer a roof for a snow load of 400lbs per foot, the best solar panel on the market is good for 150 pounds. Tesla won’t install anything in this market and the few local companies that do require you to sign a saying they will not warranty.

Things can be done to work around it, such as severely sloped roofs but the new modern trend of homes doesn’t work for this. Even in the best of cases, with a 8-12 roof pitch, heated roof, and snow clearing happening several times during the winter, the life expectancy is a likely years.

Let’s get Puerto Rico in as a state Hawaii style so we can keep all our flags /HEAVY sarcasm.

Technology is constantly changing, and technology
will improve by 2035, 15 years is a long time, 15 years ago we didn’t even have the iPhone or Android smartphones, so who are we to predict accurately which pipe dream or not will become reality within our lifetimes or the very near future.

12 years ago people thought EVs were impractical, whether it be due to outdated ideals of the time, failed GM experiments that shall not be named, or just the lack of capability of thinking beyond the present generation.

12 years ago, who would’ve thought BMW would be making electric sedans like the i4, or that a renegade Stark Industries like company would corner the market on EVs and have an inflated market cap greater than any other legacy auto maker, or that in certain jurisdictions you could be driving a close to or free car.

A great point, adoption is becoming more and more prevalent, and let’s be honest, more walkable, less car populated, and more sustainable cities will be needed in the future, we need to keep in mind the design of tomorrow, not the tradition and convenience of today, people often forget that with issues that have bipartisan support like infrastructure. However that’s liberal dreamalistic me talking after taking 2 years of civil planning as a weird elective.

Yeah this sucks, but let’s remember REM are found in ICE cars as well, and in every electronic device almost every human uses; just that those elements take form in different ways and amounts. Even on top of that like I said earlier on technology, new less REM intensive battery formulations are being developed, nobody likes the idea of a toddler mining their smartphone in the Congo.

Or how dare one party do one thing one election cycle and do the opposite the next.

Don’t worry, if anything has been proven with current exhaust trends, you can still go Vroom Vroom in your head and have a custom feature to have Dodge Demon exhaust pumped into your LuciTeslBMW cabin whatever in 2040.

Another great point, a great reason why nuclear energy is an amazing option (I know how ironic this is, with me living so close to Three Mile Island, trust me I still get the evacuation pamphlets).

Energy needs are continuing to develop. Technology grows, and now we carry way more tech than we did in the naughts. PHEVs might just be the stepping stone to help reduce our gasoline usage, when PHEV technology can cover most of our daily trips, while EV technology and proper infrastructure for long range charging, tabless whatever batteries, etc develops, that’s going to be a great stepping stone to whatever we need to achieve, keeping smaller more efficient ICE engines around for distance and whizzing around in EV mode for more reasonable usage.

4 Likes

Warren Buffett loves it, as gas fired plants are forced to close and/or are not allowed to upgrade to more efficient burners, he’s buying up power in Nevada to get in on the lucrative on demand emergency power contracts for Cali.

I propose an exemption for manual transmission with ICE. Automatic w/ ICE is superceded by a more responsive drivetrain.

2 Likes

I think he’s just pissed about RGB and Trump saying he won’t leave office. But if it does actually happen I would be thrilled… finally the cost of electric charging will level out with gas.

Did you bother to actually read the law? There are many exceptions to it and accounts for situations where panels will be in shade, for example. So what if it snows in Tahoe?

I’m not sure what the surprise is here…CA announced long ago this was coming. Now what they need to do is pull their heads out of the sand and look at the latest nuclear tech to complement the solar, wind and nat gas projects.

Smaller and safer nuclear power plant’s been talked about for years now. Hopefully it will happen. After Fukushima, the appetite for nuclear is even less than before.

The closing of existing 60s style plants is merited. Imagine an accident at San Onofre…and then imagine evacuating San Diego and Los Angeles…not worth the risk.

Rare earths are not mined with child labor. As the name implies, they are "rare’ and so huge quantities of ore need to be processed to extract the elements. I think you are confusing rare earths with Cobalt, which can be mined in a rudimentary fashion by child laborers. Cobalt is used in the battery packs in electric vehicles.

1 Like

Or a different way of thinking about it…

All of the electric vehicle battery packs are all connected to the grid and they can feed electricity back OUT to the grid when there is a critical shortage of electricity. Tesla has their Powerwalls, but there is nothing stopping them (or other EV manufacturers) from using their vehicle battery packs as emergency sources of power. In fact, the original Tesla roadster had this capability.

Giving electrical providers the ability to tap into unused EV batteries during critical shortfalls in electricity could help smooth out huge demand spikes. Of course, EV owners would need to provide consent perhaps with an offsetting power credit or reduction in their monthly bill. It could be a win-win for everybody.

1 Like

It would happen way before that. EVs are forecast to achieve cost parity with ICE cars within 5 years (conservatively speaking) and at some point they will become cheaper than ICE cars. This will happen way before 2035.

There will always be some yokel who wants to buy a coal-rolling, land-yacht, 3-ton diesel pickup (probably the same guy who has rolled negative equity into his purchases going two trucks back and has a payment as big as a mortgage), but most normal people will not be buying ICE vehicles anymore as soon as the economics flip and work in their favor.

Also, leases could not be structured to be attractive if the residuals were toast. What’s the residual on an ICE car that nobody wants? ZERO. So try structuring a lease for an ICE car with 100% depreciation within 2-4 years and you’ll see that it’s impossible. Leases assume that cars can be sold at auction after the leases are over. But how does a captive finance bank forecast demand for something that can’t be sold or that nobody wants?

1 Like