California 10 day tax exempt For lease buyout

, ,

Hi. The issue I am having is that we went to CarMax to sell the car we just purchased from the lease and they required us to get a new title without Honda Financial on it. When we went to DMV we had to pay $1600 in taxes??? We only purchased the lease to sell the car. I don’t know what to do?

1 Like

Thank you for this form. We had to get a new title from the DMV but it won’t be here for another week or so. How does the DMV deal with this? We have done everything ourselves in a timely manner. I can’t sell the car until I get the new title. :frowning:

I encountered the same situation. To sell it to any dealership like Carmax or auto dealership, I had to buy the car from the leasing company to get the title from them. I then had to go to DMV and pay sales tax to get clear title in my name. It took a while to get title in my hand. I then was able to sell my car.
As soon as I sold my car I applied for sales tax refund. I filed form: CDTFA-101-DMV (S1F) REV. 3 (12-20). The form can be obtained on line. I sent the required documents and gave them dates of each action. It proved that delay was not on my part. I got the refund soon.

5 Likes

You did not mention time line, but it seems to me that you got the sales tax refunded despite more than 10 days had lapsed between buying out from leasing company and selling to a third-party. Was it?

So long the delay is not because of you, they will issue refund.

1 Like

How did this work with the whole CA taxes of it all? Did you have to pay any taxes up front?

Thinking of selling my leased car to them.

Hi, I’m trying to payoff my Nissan leaf lease (leased from Nissan) and sell it to carmax. When I contacted Nissan dealer, they said I have to pay sales tax and DMV registration fee during the time of payoff at the dealership and I will get the title in my name (via post) may be after a month or 3 more as and when dmv sends it.
My question is the 10 day counter is after I receive the title from dmv? or the date when I payed off? I’m confused. If I can sell it with in 10 days after I get the title in my name via post from DMV, can I reimburse the sales tax back?

hi, how long it took for you to get the tile in your hand after you went to DMV and paid the sales tax?
In my case, my dealer is asking to pay sales tax and registration fee to them and they will take care and they said, I will get the title when DMV send it to me via post. So what can I do in this case? please advice…

DMV sent me the title in my name within 2 weeks.
I did not involve dealership so I don’t know how that works.
It was not a big deal paying to DMV myself.
Thanks.

1 Like

July 07, 2021: Sent check to my leasing company to buy the car from them
July 13, 2021: Received Certificate of joint Title from the leasing company
July 13, 2021: Visited DMV to get free and clear title in my name and paid them sales tax, etc.
July 26, 2021: DMV sent me a Certificate of Title in my name via postal service
July 27, 2021: Took certificate to another dealer and sold my car

1 Like

So you paid the sales tax?

Yes, I did pay Sales Tax and registration fee for transfer in my name.

Did you fill out the form to get the tax back?

Yes, I did.

Can you add to your timeline on how long that took?

July 07, 2021: Sent check to my leasing company to buy the car from them
July 13, 2021: Received Certificate of joint Title from the leasing company
July 13, 2021: Visited DMV to get free and clear title in my name and paid them sales tax, etc.

1 Like

Not that part, I mean the fill out the form → got my check from CA dmv.

I am not clear with your question. I can repeat what I wrote in this forum:
I turned in the form (mailed it) on July 28th. I called them on August 30th and left a message. They returned my call on August 31 telling me that your case is under review. They are running slow because of Covid.
They acknowledged by letter on September 28 letting me know that I will get the refund soon. I got the check on October 6.

1 Like

So then after this:

July 28, 2021: Filled out Form 399 To get my sales tax back
Sep 28, 2021: Got a message saying it will be processed.
Oct 6, 2021 : Got my check. (3 months total investment)

3 Likes