California 10 day tax exempt For lease buyout

, ,

Go into your Ford financial account and see if you can buy it out directly. No need to involve a dealer if the dealer doesn’t need to be involved.

Under registered owner, it’s listed FSVR LSR followed by my name. Towards the bottom, under lien holder, it’s listed FSVT’s address.

Sounds like you have a lessor released title and not the title in your name. You would need to take that title t I the dmv to do the title transfer and then get new title to be able to sell to most places.

I am not sure if it is a regional restriction or simply Ford policy, but my account (since the beginning of the lease) has always stated that I must buy my vehicle from the dealer. I suppose I will have to wait and see if they will allow me to pay the taxes myself at the time of purchase.

Obtain Your Purchase Option Price
If you keep your vehicle for the entire term of your lease contract, the Purchase Option Price as stated on your Red Carpet Lease Agreement is $x,xxx.05. *extended contracts might differ

Please do not send the amount listed above directly to Ford Credit. In order to purchase your vehicle, please visit your Ford dealer.

If you choose to end your lease prior to your lease-end date, you can contact Ford Credit Customer Service to determine your current purchase price.

Schedule an Appointment With Your Originating Dealer
At the time of your appointment with [Dealer Name], you will complete your vehicle purchase transaction.

If you’ve moved or it is no longer convenient to return to [Dealer Name], you may schedule an appointment at any participating Ford Dealer.

Be sure to cancel any automatic monthly payments.

This appears to be separate clause, so may be possible without dealer. I’d give it a shot if your ready to buy.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Replacing a Lexus with a civic. Equity questions

You’re right. I called CarMax, and they wouldn’t play ball. I’ve got an appointment setup for Monday to go to DMV and handle the business. Or I might deal with it online if it’s processed faster.

Well, you still have to take the lessor released title to them to process things, so I don’t see how doing it online and mailing the title in would be faster.

They let you scan the documents. I started the process but didn’t finish it. My concern is that if I screw up the paper work or I don’t pay the right fees, the whole thing drags out more than it should.

Even the title itself?

Yeah, I think so.

You can also sell to someone who will accept the lessor released title (not CarMax)

Went to DMV. They charged sales tax and said I won’t be able to get it back even if I sell within 10 days, which is practically impossible since they’ll take their sweet time. Also, they charged the registration fee since it’s due in less than 30 days. It would all be well and fine if the money was spent to fix the roads or do something half decent for the community. Wishful thinking…

I wouldn’t expect the dmv clerk to be familiar with that tax exemption

4 Likes

Did you have any more luck going with this?

The struggle continues. Multiple attempts to get dealer to help have so far gone nowhere. Arguments with CA tax analysts all the way up to a Supervisor Tax Auditor 2 have yielded nothing but asshole arguments from them where they all act incredulous at the idea anyone wants the money back. The highest level guy I talked to refused to answer me repeatedly when I kept asking, so what is the mechanism for the state of CA to disgorge tax money they have taken from a taxpayer when they acknowledge it is possessed unlawfully by them due to it being overpaid and the state being fully aware of said overpayment. Finally I told him, answer my question and after a long silence he finally said, well we keep it. Anyway, the fight goes on.

1 Like

Damn, you have a lot more patience for this than I do. I can’t even get a person on the phone. Are you trying to get your dealer to file the CDTFA-101 form?

Maybe write to your local assembly or other rep?

It is within 10 days of acquiring title that you have to sell the vehicle, so sell it within 10 days of receiving the title from DMV. You apply to the CDFTA not the DMV to get the money and in your case, you SHOULD get the money without a bloody protracted struggle since you paid it directly to DMV and handed them the money yourself.

Well I was hoping to be able to do this with BMW Financial, but it seems damn near impossible.

1 Like