Buying Used GLS 2020 450 around 70k worth it?

I think you Misunderstood me as I didn’t explain my self that well, I’m not saying its the best bang for my buck comparing it to a Corolla, I’m comparing to cars in its own price/class range like Cadillac Escalade.

No, I totally understood what you were saying and stand by my statement.

Good question, I want a GLE 53 coupe, but can not find a single used one on Carguru, so id have to settle for GLE 43 coupe which is 1 gen behind. So a Used GLS would be comparable for now till some used GLE 53 coupe hit the market or the market normalizes and I can do some new leases instead of buying a used one.

You’re talking about lighting a bonfire full of money to keep you warm long enough to light a dumpster full of money on fire.

I understand the motivation to find a solution to hold you over temporarily, but you may have chosen the most expensive way of doing it possible.

3 Likes

I didn’t ask for vindication, I asked for information as I have never owned a GLS or ever looked into it before, I desperate right now for a luxury car in my price range.

From what you have said, Am I correct to say that a 1 year old GLS with 15-30k miles used to go for then less 50-55k?

wouldn’t leasing a 2021 GLS/GLE 53 coupe cost more, like 1.5k a month vs buying a used GLS 2020 (havent found a single used gle 53 coupe on carguru) for 70k’ish 72 month low interest 1-2% so around 1k a month?

That only works if it depreciates slower than you pay off the loan, which will not be the case in a normal world.

2 Likes

Good point, if the total cost to own for 2-3years is cheaper to just lease then ill 100% lease, but from everything iv been seeing across this forum and doing my own research Leases just seemed for some reason to be higher total cost because of how the market is currently, But I could 100% be wrong.

How the market is now is only going to make you lose more money buying a gls. The problem is you’re trying to use an insane point in time as your data point. The only thing it’s going to do is make it so you overpay now and lose even more money to depreciation.

1 Like

How tf is a slower 3-row behemoth comparable to a faster version of a midsize CUV? Look at X5 50i or X3 M40i or GLC43 to hold you over

Well I did try to go for a brand new Lincoln Nautilus and the monthly I came to was $800, so I said to my self if I’m willing to spend $800 why not put 200-300 on it and just get the car I want.

Then I contacted a broker here for Texas market and they got back to me with some number for the E-tron and it was 1.1k a month and in no fucking way I’m paying 1.1k for an E-tron when people in Texas few months ago were getting 550-700 also no Texas tax rebate which in it self is 3-4k, So then I asked them for Q5/Q5 sportback, they never got back to me as I don’t think they could as market is messed up. I went to Audi dealer in North Dallas and they didn’t have a single Q5 sportback on the lot to test drive and told me production line is down so can not even take order for one. I did test drive the Q5 and it made me puke. Made me realize why I never want to own a Audi ever in my entire life as the Interior is shit IMO.

So my options are small and the market is messed up, Yeah I don’t need a 7 seater, but if its at good price and its over all cost to own is small compared to current lease market why not.

You need to understand that if you buy a $70k used gls, it isn’t going to cost you $1000/mo, even if that’s what your monthly payment is.

2 Likes

That is a good point, I don’t believe in 2-3years I can sell the car without having to also pay money on top to finish the loan. The question is people here said that id need to put 15-20k on top of the car price to pay the loan off when I try to sell it, but so far haven’t been shown why it would be that much, from my own research I think it would be around 5k’ish that I would lose on top of what ever iv already paid.

You’re basing your resale prices off of the current market, not reality. Unless you plan on only holding the gls for a few weeks, your resale price is going crash when it runs into reality.

1 Like

Just buy the GLS. Nothing will go wrong.

1 Like

Why not two, so you don’t need a loaner when the other is getting it’s A-service?

2 Likes

BMW… Ewww no ty. haven’t seen single one I like, also do not want the stereotype that comes with it IMO.

Speed isn’t the issue, comfort/cool looks are what’s important to me. I’m not going to take this car to a race track. I just need it to give me a nice comfortable ride while going from city to city in Texas on long drives for work while also looking good for “my” taste.

Personally I don’t like the shape of Mercedes regular SUV line up, except the GLS as its a Thick boy and the GLC coupe doesn’t look as good or as Thick as the GLE coupe IMO.

by reality do you mean market fixing it self thus used prices going back to normal or maybe even lower then normal?

or you mean even if used prices hold its a bad deal?

Yes, this. The problem is you’ll have bought when they were inflated and sell when they’re not, so you’ll be stuck with greater than normal depreciation most likely.

3 Likes

A specific make/model which burst through the inflation ceiling very early, in what is currently the most inflated segment of the auto industry. Your barrel of burning money to forestall the dumpster of burning money was :100:

2 Likes