Buying out a 2019 Tesla Model X

My friend has 2019 Model X lease ending in October 2022. Leased in Florida.
Don’t know the exact deal with 3rd party buyouts of this model leased in 2019. From my initial research Vroom and Carmax said they can’t buy this car.
I’m not opposed to buying it myself and flipping it in 4-6 weeks when I get the paper title in hand.

Anything I should beware of? Like the title has to be 90 days old or some other crap that I can’t/didn’t think of?

Service records. These cars are known for blowing through half shafts like they’re oil changes.

4 Likes

If you are selling to CarMax, then title should be 30 days old from the issued date. But other vendors like Carvana, Givemethevin, etc don’t have any issue as long as you do have paper title on hand. You can get the paper title then practically you can sell it same day.

Technically your friend would have to buy it, pay sales tax, and get title before you can buy it from them.

2 Likes

That’s not true, the system flags it if the title is not 30 days old. But with a manager approval it’s not a issue at all

Good to know that! Recently CarMax denied to buy my car due to 30 days old title policy. Their business office spent 30 min with the process to complete the paperwork, then they told me that they can’t buy my car.

That’s weird. It happens all the time, especially in this market because people are buying out their leases and selling it right away.

Oof. Hope they kept in low suspension mode all the time. The half shaft CV joint issue honestly deserves a class action but I doubt there are enough people who own these to actually go through with it.

1 Like