Buy or Lease 2021 RAV4 Hybrid Limited? Or 2021 RAV4 XLE AWD? (Supernoob)

Even a Prime!??

Yes even on Rav4 Prime

2 Likes

got it, i understand now, i was holding a weird perspective bc i was assuming i would buyout the vehicle and looking at overall equity to me, but i realize thats not what we were talking about :wink: we’re talking about the risk of negative equity during the lease, and that would be to the lessor not me.

So is this why RAV4s dont lease well? bc the RV is high, and the MF seems very bad ? :confused: so therefore my payment is high, and overall lease seems high lol.

1 Like

Did you receive the RV % & MF from Edmunds forum?

You want higher RV thus resulting in a lower depreciation.

Yeah if you lease, any negative equity is the bank’s risk. You’re only on the hook for stated lease payments (plus excess wear & tear if any).

In my opinion as this is your first lease & the timing isn’t that great, you should search for broker offers “with only First Month Payment Due at Signing” & go with a broker after reading their reviews. I think you will definitely be well served by their services & the broker fee will be worth it.

1 Like

yes, RV and MF from edmunds.

Will look into broker’s. hadnt considered that. Thanks

Good Luck!!!

Great, at least have some baseline.

1 Like

Buying this would be a no-brainer for OP unless I’m missing something

OP wants to sell the vehicle in 3 years. But If OP can fully claim the credits (7,500 + 1500, right?) it would probably make sense.

2 Likes

Correct, purchasing the Prime would be much better as you can claim the $7500 federal tax credit, $1500 CCFR, $1000 CVRP, and local utility rebate check.

1 Like

Yeah you guys are right! That amount would definitely offset the crazy market prices if i can find one. Given the recent announcement from Toyota, this is going to be hard. but i think ill try!

A prime is going to end up costing as much as the hybrid limited so might as well

hm, looking not particularly great. lol

The Clean air rebate in CA is on waitlist. (not sure if that means i dont get the $1500 off the vehicle immediately, but hopefully that would come through sometime)

and then for the fed ev $7500 rebate. I read that this is a credit only in that it would take away tax money owed. but if i am typically someone who gets money back from federal tax, this would not help me at all.

Wrong.

On your tax return, look at the line that says “Total Tax”. If this line is typically more than $7,500 & you expect it to be more than $7,500 for 2021, you get the full credit UpTo $7,500.

Exactly. Common misconception that your tax payment owed need to be $7500 or more rather than total tax owed (which includes that which was withheld from each paycheck over the year).

2 Likes

The CVRP has nothing to do with the CCFR which is point of sale and not on hold.

1 Like

It reduces your total taxes owed, not if you owe money/get a refund when you file your taxes. Is your net federal tax paid $0, or are you just saying you usually get a refund for overpayment throughout the year?

ah yes, the latter

I have a reservation slot for a 2021 Rav4 Prime SE in Black at MSRP with no dealer markup if you are interested. Broker Fee separate.

One can look at the situation like they are pricing the car to take advantage of the Fed and State credits/subsidies. The whole point for the credits is to make the cars more affordable and get more ZEV on the roads. Yes demand is high and supply is low right now so it makes sense, but they can just raise the MSRP temporarily and sell it at that price - like they are pissing in my pocket and telling me its raining.

:cloud_with_rain: :man_shrugging:t2:

In normal times, you get a good lease deal and for free you get to transfer the future valuation risk to the bank.

But these are not normal times. So if you’re overpaying on a lease and the main rationale is to hedge yourself against future resale value, that doesn’t really make financial sense.

The cost of insurance has to make sense relative to the expected loss.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.