Buy before year end, on 31st?

My car is being lemon lawed next week and I’ll need a replacement.

I can wait a few weeks till the new year.

I’d like to get an EV, but am very confused about the tax situation. But I’m not willing to pay a large markup for the tax credit. Not even sure what cars it applies to.

Should I try to make a deal on the 31st? Does that matter anymore in this car environment?

Should I wait till 1/1/23 to buy an EV?

I really don’t want to spend more than 50K, and ideally not more than 35-40K.

Thanks.

Do you like walking into a supermarket to buy some Soda on Sale and all they have left is some RC Cola?

It’s on sale, but you have a real limited selection.

I would try a week before.
Also you are in SoCal so expect ADM or Blessings since you walked into a Dealer without a plan.
Talk to a broker here and see if you can get a deal ahead of time.

2 Likes

another satisfied tesla owner?

A new tesla is this price right now! Lol

• Will you still qualify for an ev tax credit under the new rules? Many won’t
  • Are you looking at something that has the full credit now, but may not? Or has no credit now but will in January?

If you don’t care too much for EAP or FSD (and don’t mind the uncertain future of parking assist like proximity sensors), a Tesla Model 3 Base will run you $45k before taxes and fees with the $3,750 discount. You’ll 100% get the car before EOY if you order soon.

If you find the car that meets your needs at the right price, there is no point waiting till the end of the year.

4 Likes

Just because an EV has a tax credit doesn’t make it a good deal.

A 2023 Mach-E GT Premium AWD ER or GT at MSRP is a poor deal. It’s overpriced at $67K+. Ford jacked prices up $9K so value wise I think the top/mid trim of EV6 and Ioniq 5 are better value at mid $50Ks.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.