Brokers beware using PayPal

I’ve always heard how terrible PayPal is and how they screw over sellers all the time. Well a buyer who picked up his lease, was totally happy with the transaction filed a chargeback with his bank.

PayPal didn’t even notify me they just removed the money from my account. I called them to show them proof and they basically told me not their problem. Pursue it outside of PayPal.

I won’t be accepting PayPal anymore for this reason and their fees that I have to pass on to the buyers anyway.

Unfortunately I don’t have his user Id on leasehackr to make other brokers aware. I do a ton of work on here free, and don’t complain about all the tire kickers. But when you contract with me to get a car it’s just low to do something like this…

19 Likes

If they send F&F, I don’t think they can do that.

1 Like

It was friends and family… typically people do it that way but some people want protection. Which I’m fine with. I’ve never had a charge back or any disputes.

1 Like

Ebay and PayPal have the worst dispute and protection systems I’ve ever encountered. I’ve pretty much sworn them off completely unless absolutely necessary.

8 Likes

What an ass hole sorry man that sucks.

3 Likes

This happened to me once on an Ebay transaction about 3 years ago. I sold an item, shipped it next day, tracking number said delivered to customer’s door. Customer claimed they never received it yet didn’t give me any EBay feedback nor did they send me a single email or message. Paypal customer service didn’t give an f - buyer is always right to them. After a month of ‘gathering information’ which consisted of 2 sentences from the buyer claiming they never received it and documented proof from me that it was delivered, they decided in the buyer’s favor and told me to file a claim through UPS. I did not because I’m 99% sure that the buyer received it and I was not about to respond to someone else’s fraud by committing fraud myself. Haven’t used PayPal since. They are dead to me over $40.

3 Likes

Oh yeah I don’t do eBay anymore. Some guy bought a $700 aquarium light off me and returned a rock. eBay/PayPal sided with him. I could see if I had lots of disputes or shady shit going on. But I just added up 300 transactions on PayPal the last 2 years and not one dispute. Everyone that was due a refund got it without going through PayPal. I don’t even care about the money. It’s just shitty that someone would/can do this. I would imagine he does it often

6 Likes

This happened to me, why I stopped using it.

4 Likes

Surprised PayPal even has any business with these practices.

1 Like

Worst part about is is I believe they allow disputes and charge backs to be posted up to 180 days AFTER the transaction… SIX MONTHS LATER…

Some people suck.

1 Like

Something like this happened to me and I was told to file an appeal, then complete a statement and have the notary sign it. Surprisingly, ebay returned the money and I suspect they ate the loss on that.

1 Like

Would going through venmo be easier? i know they are owned by paypal but on there my understanding is that it is all technically friends and family transfers.

2 Likes

It’s worse when it’s over more money, too.

I used to do a lot of selling on eBay (buying purses, shoes, etc. on sale at department stores and then selling them on eBay) as a way to help out with my student loan payments.

I recently had to really duke it out with eBay (luckily didn’t get to the point of PayPal), when the buyer was THREATENING ME multiple times a day, and they still let her return the item. This is just one of the threats:

Meanwhile, I ALWAYS show the receipt where you can match the UPC to the item, and return label if applicable, and you can see that it is the store’s paper:

It’s pretty difficult to fake all of that, and she was sending me messages saying things like “how many fake purses did you buy with that fake receipt?” which makes no sense whatsoever.

She sent back a bag that wasn’t even packaged like mine, minus the tags, etc. eBay let her keep the money, and finally, after an appeal, I got my money back too, but it was a month-plus-long fight, and she left negative feedback I had to fight to get removed (on eBay since 1999 and had no negatives, so it really pissed me off). I kept asking how they could let a buyer who threatens a seller no less than 20 times win, and it was just a bunch of excuses.

I need to sell off the rest of my inventory, but that left a really sour taste in my mouth.

Anyone want to buy some purses and shoes? Haha.

3 Likes

I’m sure Amazon sends Paypal and Ebay thank you cards monthly thanking them for their business.

1 Like

I use Venmo but a lot of older people don’t have it and don’t trust online payment companies. For good reason…but PayPal allows you to use a credit card so I guess that feels more secure for some people.

I always recommend Venmo as there’s no fees or drama. Even though I believe you can still cancel a Venmo payment within 24 hours or so.

1 Like

Venmo is now actually owned by PayPal so you may encounter similar issues with them.

4 Likes

F-k PayPal! Sold my cousin’s used drum machine ($1k+) and the buyer filed a claim after a year… No money and no drum machine!

Venmo and PayPal are both terrible. Very few protections and they’ll lock up your money for no reason if they feel like it

Isn’t there option “no returns”?

Do you do your own processing? Outside of PayPal/Venmo, what’s left?