Brake pads change

Hi guys, I left my Land Rover discovery sport at the dealer for the annual check up, they just call me and told me that the brake pads needed to be change and front is over $1000 and back over $1200, I think is quite expensive, do I really need to change them after a year of using the car?

Not with the dealer you dont…sounds likes pads and rotors. These SUVs eat them up but after a year that’s bad. I’m sure you can get away with just putting pads on if they are being honest

What’s a mere $2200 to someone of LandRover status ? Consider it a privilege to just be at the Land Rover dealership. Embrace those “free” cappachino’s they hand out.

I myself would be really skeptical. I’d want to see some evidence for myself what they found.

I’ll bet you could get it done at a brake shop for $300 an axel (or less).

As an aside, I took my Camaro in for an oil change at the dealer as they had a “promotion” on oil changes. A week before I went in I had changed the air filter myself.

At the service, The service manager then told me how I needed to change the air filter because it was “so bad”.

3 Likes

THis is not an endorsement, just an example…

https://www.mavistire.com/brake-repair/

Sounds like a Land Rover. I work across from a LR dealer and I hear their customer’s complain all the time about having to change pads/rotors after a year. $2200 does not seem like a bad price from a dealer if it is pads and rotors but you can probably get them done for a little less at an independent shop that uses OEM parts.

I’m surprised they’re shot on both axles. Typically rears go first on them. Regardless, you’d only need rotors if you gouged them due to completely wearing down the pads. Pads are 40/ set on the front axle and 30/ set on the rear. There’s no obligation to put oem parts on and I’d argue that oem is crap if they wore that quickly.

1 Like

That’s a scam, go on rock auto get the parts yourself and find an independent shop to it. I just looked up some disco brake parts and they were no more expensive than any other car, parts would probably be no more than $300, sounds like a $1000 job. And if it’s lease just have them throw new pads on.

1 Like

The stealing at the stealership mostly happens in parts and service, they make the money for the place. I only go there for oil changes with a coupon/free and if my car is under warranty. Otherwise it’s to the trusty mechanic at a gas station.

1 Like

Pads might cost that on a Civic but not a Land Rover and you would not want $40 pads on a car that weights 5000 lbs. OP, you are better off going on a LR specific forum that can point you towards quality replacements than asking people on a leasing forum who never owned a LR what is a good price for new pads.

This is all bullshit. PM me.

Yeah just go back to the dealer and drop $2k on brakes, sounds completely legit. I think my favorite Land Rover scam is the disco sport with the ford ecoboost, don’t use the cheap ford parts, but go buy the rover ones for 4x the money

I owned an LR4 when living in Dubai so please don’t assume. Unfortunately was stuck getting it done at the dealership/trading company because i didn’t have my tools and was gouged like the op is or will be. I doubt a discovery sport is 5000 lbs. Regardless, you can get centric posi quiet pads with hardware for the prices I mentioned above. They’re very good pads. If the op has a jack, stands, tools and some basic mechanical skills they’re pretty easy to change out if he’s so inclined but unlikely considering the post.

1 Like