BMW X5 Discussion - MY 2024 & Loaners

i think “almost as much” is fairly subjective

4 Likes

Not much you can do to make this lease better - $1200 of the $1500 payment is the depreciation due to very low residual of 49%. I’ve been leasing BMW’s for years and a quick look at the residual will tell you all you need to know about the type of “deal” you’ll be able to get - no way to make this look good, you need high-50’s/low-60’s to get a strong payment and BMW just isn’t going there these days on these. (FWIW - residual was 57% when I leased my 2020 M50- which resulted in much better payment! :grin:)

3 Likes

What are you basing that off of? X5 M50’s are not X5 40i’s, they are very hard to come by. Lower supply on a car that is generally in demand usually means no huge discounts. I think I’d be happy with anything past 5% with buy rate money factor (IF I HAD to have this car), which is basically what this is.

this is precisely a want not need. i make six figures and live in the middle of nowhere oklahoma. living expenses are $800 a month lol. i have a 2018 x3 m40i with 105,000 miles. i was going to trade plus cash a x3m but at 9% interest it makes no sense.

but i cant say going from a $575 car payment to a $1565 car payment makes much sense either.

1 Like

If you’re going to use this one just as much as the M40i, why not just finance a used one to help offset the depreciation hit?

4 Likes

If you drive that much a year, why not finance either a brand new 40i or a pre-owned M50i?

That’s a lot of money for this car, IMO.

If you are looking for power, why not a Porsche Cayenne GTS? Go test drive one, if you can.

Any credit unions near you? Check out this LH resource. Shout out to Hershey.

At the end of the day, do you. If you can afford the monthly payment, insurance costs, gas, new tires (at some point), then who are we to tell you not to go for it.

It is your money.

2 Likes

Good suggestion on considering a used one. The lease program itself isn’t all that great so you’re not really better off leasing vs. buying. At that point you should ask yourself if you’re better off buying a new 2023 at ~$90k or a used 2022 for ~$80k or a 2021 for ~$70k. If you do drive a lot of miles, a 1-2 year old with CPO warranty might be better overall buy.

2 Likes

Maybe I’m weird but I could always technically ‘afford’ a lot more car than I would end up getting but when I started looking at 100K+ cars I only did it when I could write checks for them. Those payments/interest costs are nuts and I could never psychologically do! :slight_smile:

EDIT, it’s all about running the numbers tho in various scenarios…lease MFs and RVs are generally high and low compared to the good old days. Haha

2 Likes

i think id be hard pressed to ever use a car this hard in 3 years again. 2 years ago i had to drive 58,000 miles to make $35,000 lol what a terrible financial run that was.

now i only commute 10 miles each way to work and im over a year into a 6 figure job. so i would just like to upgrade vehicles. something just a little nicer than what i already have so i was thinking x3m or x5 m50i. x3m doesnt sound like a great daily honestly and the x5 would have alot more space and honestly just be a more premium vehicle.

i started with looking at 2021 x5 m50i and it looks like $75,000 basically 80,000 with taxes. i got preapproved for $60,000. assume minimum down and maximum borrow its 9% interest. over 60 or 72 months its basically now a 95,000 car. id be in 10k equity and 10k cash and what probably $1,200 a month payment?

in 3 years i would be ready for a new vehicle and id roughly have (10k equity from current car + 10k downpayment + 43k in monthly payments or 63k total into a 2021 x5 m50i. it will be left being worth roughly $51,000. i will still owe lets say 35k.

im left with 16k in equity after spending 63k. so cost for 3 years would be $47,000.

roughly cost me $1,305 a month to own if were just talking the financing.

does that seem about right to everyone?

vs new lease

$1565 x 36 = 56,340 but no equity left.

so in summary
47k for 3 years to drive a 2021 x5 m50i +$16,00 in equity left to trade with
56k for 3 years to drive a 2023 x5 m50i + $0 equity to trade with

i think the simple side of my brains looks at it like well if a 2021 is 1,300 a month and a brand new one is 1,600 a month its +300 in expenses but its +$20,000 i keep in the bank.

but in 3 years when i have the equity, financing used does look to be a better option.

2 Likes

Here’s a $63k '21 M50i with less than 12k miles.

ya thats a wierd one. very cheap and very low miles. most are between 70-80k so im just speaking in relative figures the best i can. you think my math seems legit in that scenario?

There are quite a few around $70k.

Someone else can look closely at the numbers. However, I think you are making quite a few assumptions about resale value.

1 Like

yessir you are correct im just saying roughly speaking the majority are between 70-80k so i used 75k for reference. your absolutely right though, finding the best deal possible is whats going to make the most sense.

absolutely i am assuming resale value and after looking at a depreciation calculator

depreciation calculator

it will prob be 5-7k less than i guessed. lemme update that and see what it looks like

Why do your financing models always assume a 9% APR? Is that really the best APR you qualify for?

7% off MSRP? You working with a broker? Best I got for x3 m40i was 5% off MSRP

1 Like

well my loan 3 years ago on my current x3 was $16,000 down $31,000 borrow 4.45% $575 monthly payment

i got preapproved thru capital one for 60k and all the cars their site showed me were 9-9.9% interest.

i have 0 missed payments
credit karma says 786 credit score
experian 703
transunion 710
equifax 706

maybe i can get better i dont think ill really know until they run my credit

I’d say “if we can do buy rate then we have a deal!”
It’s after all a 2023 so there should be some extra room especially 2024s are already on the lot.

1 Like

honestly i started cold calling the dealerships that had cars i was interested in. basically said you got what im looking for and heres what im looking to do 36/15 0down and that i wanted 10% off msrp they countered with 7. but they also jacked with the money factor from .00175 to .00216. ive had other dealers offer a much smaller amount off msrp but also a much better 0.00179 money factor.

Guess Ill do that and probably have to change my taste because theres only 1 vehicle with the exact configuration I want