BMW X3 Lease Return - Poor experience

Hi, I need to return my BMW x3 lease. The car is in great condition but during the pre-estimate dealer is trying to rip me off.

• 1600 for tires
  • Asking to pay very light scratches( which are only visible when you come next to it)
  • Windshield glass 600 USD
    and so on with a bill of 7000 USD. Anyone has experience with the Lease return and how I can avoid?

Can I ask close by tire shop to install a used tire? Any other suggestion to buffing so that can avoid minor scratches?

Given I am returning my car on Tuesday, your suggestions will be greatly appreciated

1 Like

Was the inspection done by the dealer or autovin?

Yes. Used tires are fine, as long as they meet the requirements (same rating/type of tire).

Talk to a detailer about buffing out the scratches.

If the tires are $1600 and the glass is $600, what is the other $5k?

I was told to pay for 3 tires in pre-inspection which was 900$. I called customer care and asked them the life span of tires would be 40k-50k and what would you expect for 36k lease.They offered me to waive 500$ towards for 2 tires.

Didn’t you get a mailer from BMW 2 months ago describing exactly what they consider billable?

There has to be some bigger issues then minor scratches for it to be a 7k bill on lease return

Did you miss scheduled maintenance…??

Something doesn’t add up… $7K in charges?

We’re the tires totally bald? You can buy used ones and replace with ones that are same brand and specs.

Take pictures of your scratches and windshield (use your phone) and post back here…

1 Like

Are you over on miles?

1 Like

what exactly is that ? Why are you going to the dealership for a pre-inspection of a lease return ? Call bmw financial and ask them how to get inspection done. They will walk you through the process along with the 3rd party inspection company.

1 Like

Going to a BMW dealer for a pre-inspection is fine. They’re authorized (the genius team) to process these and all lease return inspections for BMW. Fact is, no pre-inspection is a guarantee -just gives you a rough idea. The final on grounding is what matters.

But with $7k in damages, I’m going to say “where’s the poop?”

Tires if worn, windshield if damaged - that’s legit, but not to the tune of $7k. The tires you could replace with used OEMs for $400-$500 installed, the windshield is likely covered by insurance.

$7k is a lot unless it’s a mistype/misprint by OP(?). Poorly repaired accident damage? Beat up body panels? Cracked wheel rims?

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Is this an early return? Or are you way over in mileage?
There is must be a mileage charge or leftover payments to get to 7k+.

People who planned ahead unlike the OP could have brand new RFT for less than $100 each

For anyone else who is worried about lease end charges for tires, IMO the best value in terms of cost/benefit is to find a great deal on brand new tires like the above and put them on before your last winter before your lease ends.

That way you actually get some benefit out of the money spent, unlike replacing right at the end.

2 Likes

That is a smoking deal. When I needed them for my X1 last year it was $800+ install for OEMs. I paid $350 for used tires (nearly new, but still)

1 Like

Where is the other $5k coming from?

Reminds me of that yadayadayada Seinfeld episode - I went to turn on my car and they charging me for 1600 for tires 1000 for windshield and yadayadayada the bill is $7000.

But seriously when I turned in my last bmw it seemed all they really cared about were the tires. It’s based on tread depth not mileage on them. Normal scratches I think no bigger than a credit card is ok but no idea what kind of scratches you have. There is a detailed video on bmw lease return to watch. Sounds like either your car is really in not as good shape as you think it is or your dealer are real sticklers to details. ?return to a different dealer

3 Likes

I’ve returned several BMWs. Can’t say I’ve experienced this before.
Can you share images of the damages?

You were 3k over miles in April, so I’m guessing most of the $7k is mileage?

You’re probably not going to do anything we advise by Tuesday so good luck and plan ahead better next time.

6 Likes