BMW X3 Build - Tire & Wheel Size Recommendation

, ,

Yes, if you have a build with 18" then just buy 4 non-RFT and swap them once you get the car. It will take room to store but you are much more flexible on getting them patched/repaired, etc. and they will run better too.

1 Like

RFT are not necessarily expensive though

18” for X3 x30i starting at $91 each including shipping and hazard protection

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?filtering=true&width=225%2F&ratio=60&diameter=18&autoMake=BMW&autoYear=2020&autoModel=X3%20xDrive30i&autoModClar=Runflat%20Tires&sortCode=53703&tireIndex=0#allTitle

Its not just about price of replacement, rather the better drive overall between the 18" run flats and the 19" non run flats. Price point isnt the biggest concern, especially if I get a tire and wheel protection plan (which paid for itself on my Audi).

it’s not on your list but definitely don’t get 20 inch runflats on the x3 like I have now.

I had 18 inch non RF on an old X5 and that was the best I’ve driven on a BMW

Definitely no 20s. Unfortunately the build is with 18 rfts. Had it been non rfts it would have been a no brainer. It’s either 18 rfts or 19 non rfts.

How’s your experience been with 20 inch runflats? I’m putting together an M40i build and wanted to go with 21" wheels. Reconsidering that reading all the comments on this thread though.

Depends on how much highway mileage you do. I live in northern Virginia and fortunately drive on almost always newly-paved roads/lots of highway mileage.

The ride isn’t that bad for me, but I’ve heard others read the riot act on how terrible the ride is. I actually test drove an M40i with 19s and didn’t notice a huge difference (but again, we drove on well-paved roads)

I personally care a lot about the look of the car, and for me, the 20 inch wheel was the best look. I wasn’t a huge fan of the 21s, nor the stock 19s, so that mostly drove my choice over ride comfort.

Not much highway mileage and I’m in PNW so the roads aren’t terribly bad here. I did test drive two different M40is with 19s and 21s and didn’t notice much of a difference, much like your experience with 20s.

I prefer the look of 21s over 20s and it looks like unless the roads are really bad, it shouldn’t affect the ride all that much.

1 Like

If I get to pick, I go with the smallest wheelset possible, easier ride and harder to kerb.

Otherwise, I just go with what comes w the car.

20’s are easier/cheaper to shop for but that’s generally the case for even sizes in general.

1 Like

Ah I wasn’t aware of this. I’m usually the one to go for the deal and be good with whatever comes with the car, but if I can get a custom order in I’d option it exactly how I want it. Onto drafting an email offer for my local dealers and see if they bite :slight_smile: