BMW Wear and Tear Lease Protection (x2)

I’ve signed a lease on a loaner car in norcal and the dealership has offered discounts on wear and tear insurance (Zurich) instead of honoring the Cap Cost reduction they have initially agreed. The cap cost should have reflected over $200 of reduction, but given it’s end of the day and the dealership is about to close, they offered $500 discount on wear and use protection ($1,700 to $1,200). This is for x2 loaner with 3 year/ 10k mileage. For the piece of mind, I’ve opted into getting the insurance, but I’m not sure if this was a wise decision. The zurich insurance offers $7.5k coverage with $1k cap on each item and seems like a better deal than BMW direct insurance. Should I just cancel this insurance and ask for the cap cost reduction? Is $1,200 market price for this lease? Thanks for your help in advance!

Unless you drive your lease car like a rental, you’ll be losing money spending anything on “wear & tear”.

Don't be a dummy like me in the F&I department <— read this, all of it…

1 Like

It really depends on how well you take care of the car. At least once a month, I see a lease turn in with $5000 of damage and other cars that are immaculate. So if you think you will return the car with more than $1200 worth of damage, then keep it. But to answer your question, $1200 is a good price since I typically see lease end protection range from $1500 to $2000.

Drive the lease car like you stole it :slight_smile:

Never had more than $400 in damage. If it includes tires, then potentially worth it. But I don’t think any do.

1 Like

Thanks. The insurance includes the tires as well. The contract defines tires with tread depth of less than 1/8" remaining at the shallowest point as excessive wear and use. Not sure 35k of mileage will cause the tires to be in this condition.

Do a few burnsouts before turn in, in the dealership parking lot!

3 Likes

Curious how this turned out for you?

I had bought BMW lease protection in the past and it was great, drop off car, no issues up to $7500.

I then bought it from the same dealership the next lease and it was Zurich (I didn’t know it wasn’t the same), the lease return told me I’d be contacted by Zurich if needed, and 9 months later I got a call from BMW FS saying I owe them $600. The last page of the fine print in the Zurich contract (they never told me, and this is my 3rd lease protection purchase) says I (or the lessor on my behalf) was supposed to have contacted them to set up a separate 3rd party inspection.

Honestly, I gave them their insurance money to not deal with this nonsense ($600 for two tires that were “worn down too much”), the lease protection was the exact same dollar amount as the last two times and the same box on the contact, but they changed the process without telling me, even when I asked at lease return.