BMW-Tires that suck

Installed the Conti’s today. A little better handling than the Bridgestones and definitely quieter but the ride is surprisingly still harsh. Kinda disappointed. I wonder how different the deal would have been if I leased for 2 years instead of 3. I would have saved the 750 bucks I just shelled out so $21/mo effectively.

My car came with Pilot Sport 4 ZP tires and I know they won’t last the full 36k miles so I’m thinking of getting some tires now and keeping these for lease turn in.

It rarely rains in LA so would the Pilot Sport A/S 3s still be good considering most of my driving will be dry? I can always get summer tires for year round but don’t know if that would be a bad idea for when it occasionally rains.

It’s now been 2 days and I think I’ve dialed in the psi. 32 all around seems to be the sweet spot with these tires on this car.
38 in the back is what BMW recommends but that makes these tires very firm. I’m happy with them now but I keep wondering if the A/3s would have offered a softer ride. Definitely not from what I’ve read.

I believe that rain is no problem with summer tires. However, you should not use summer tires when the temperature is 45 degrees or lower. Since it gets below 45 degrees at times in the winter in LA, summer tires would not be good year round.

Yea I’ve been reading the A/S3s are a bit harsh but have also read you have to play with the psi. Glad to hear you’ve been able to dial your Contis in some more. The moment I got into my m340i I felt the harsher ride compared to my f30 340…would def prefer something softer.

Thanks for the insight! This will be my first time buying tires for a lease so I’m trying to do as much research as possible before pulling the trigger on them. They’re not cheap lol

You’ll be fine with a good set of summer tires.

Consumer Reports and Tire Rack are good places to research

1 Like

You will be fine with summer tires as long as you stay away from the track ready tires like the Pilot Cup tires. Pilot Sport 4S will be your best summer tire right now.

1 Like

They are. I can’t compare to the PS 4ZP, but, once I got over the harsher ride, the improved grip from the Michelin MXM4 (even w/ my unaggressive driving) I had on an MB C250 was (generally) worth it. Fuel economy did take a slight hit, though.

1 Like

Summer tires are generally far superior to all season tires in the wet.

2 Likes

Unrelated but my XC60 came with Continental CrossContact LX Sports. They ride fine to me but I’ve read some pretty horrible reviews about it only lasting 12-15k miles. Foam lining in there making very few shops willing to fix it when there is a flat. Anyone else have mileage with these tires? Thoughts?

all signs point toward the PS 4S. thank you and everyone else for the advice!

Let us know how you like them!