BMW Says Customers Want Massive Kidney Grilles

Obviously the look has been doing well in focus groups or they wouldn’t be heading in this design direction… but good lord.

15 Likes

Many anglophones in the comment section of that article have issues with the supposed focus groups. But where does BMW sell more cars than America…:cn::cn::cn:. And with tremendous year over year growth there. American opinions matter less and less as growth in China continues.

2 Likes

The chinese market is why they’re going that route.

2 Likes

I don’t know if I should get myself checked out but I kinda like the 2025… looks like a BIGGGG SMILE

And if you made the patties large enough you could cook burgers on the hood of the 2050.

On second thought, pizzas might work better.

This is still my favorite.

1 Like

The US and China. The design language screams: I paid a lot, and everyone will know. Roundels everywhere!

so basically this?

2025 already looks like Avalon :man_facepalming::man_facepalming::man_facepalming: .

I wonder what the equivalent of the “Jones” is in China and why we should strive to keep up with them. That being said, I can’t wait for Tesla’s ramp up in that market as it’ll really kick start the aftermarket and may actually make repairing Tesla’s cost effective.

1 Like

BMW: “You guys want big grilles right?”
Everybody: “Uh I guess.”
BMW: “Here you go.”

I’m not a fan but it’s not the end of the world like some people portend. It might be like the Bangle era, where the changes to the design language are derided but it turns out to be the start of a market-wide styling trend even to this day.

I don’t know that I’d give BMW credit here for a market-wide styling trend in the form of large grills. That’s been going on for a while already.

Unless the market trend you want to give them credit for is ugly large grills

I was not referring to the grill, but rather that Bangle and his somewhat drastic restyling of the whole BMW lineup starting in the mid 90s was immediately slammed but in hindsight pretty much revolutionized the look of BMWs and was very significant in the reshaping of cars afterwards.

The market is demanding more “impact” and this is a way to do it. Sure I would have preferred a sleeker / thinner / more sexier grill, but everybody is moving in this direction and it doesn’t seem to be stopping.

I don’t disagree. In that case, they were ahead of the curve and their design directions drove the market. In this case, they seem to be just beating the curve from behind with the ugly stick.

1 Like

Whilst I’m also not a fan of the WHOPPING GREAT BIG GRILLE look. I will say that adding a front license plate does tone them down a little. You can see in that picture that a license plate (at least a EU style one) would help to tone down the hugeness of it a little.

On the upside, it’s still not quite as awful as the Toyota Avalon which is quite frankly completely absurd at this point. I simply don’t believe it helps sales. I’ve yet to see many X7’s on the road and I traverse the fancier bits of 90210 each day. Screenshot 2020-02-06 at 10.55.57

Well…here it is! BMW iPigface

1 Like

BMW customers are saying yes to big grills… but how are we going to fit them?
Customers: JUST remove the turn signals, we dont know what they’re for anyway!

1 Like

If you cover the grille with your finger, the car design is pretty great.

2 Likes