BMW lease extension

Anyone has experience extending their lease with BMW FS in the past year? I know BMW FS used to allow a no-questions-asked 2mo-extension, but I wonder if COVID has changed things.

I have a semi-unicorn lease that is set to expire in 2mos and I want to hold on to it as long as possible :wink:

When I called a month ago, it was two months no questions asked, up to six months if you were ordering a car.

2 Likes

Audi allowed me up to 6 months

Are additional miles allowed with the lease extension? (Pro rated of course)

Called last week and it is up to 2 months

1 Like

Yes. Additional miles are pro rated based on the length of your extension and your annual mileage allowance.

1 Like

I just extended mine online last night, allowed up to 2 months and took all of 2 minutes to extend.

1 Like

Curious if there are any recent data points for a 6 month extension by ordering a new BMW (e.g., an i4 pre-order).

Also, does BMW FS lower the residual/payoff amount with extensions?

They adjust the payoff. When your agree to the extension they will send you an updated lease contract

1 Like

I purchased lease protection package with my lease. Will it also extend for an additional month with my lease extension
or is it valid only for a fixed 3 year lease?

From my prior experience, the expanded W&T allowance to 5k/7.5k still applies to the eventual turn-in, though the more insurance-y cosmetic packages such as Tire & Rim/PDR/Key Replacement did not.

You should probably email or tweet BMWFS so that you have an answer in writing.

Lessor policies are changing very frequently these days, eg another lessor just decided to stop lowering the RV for lease extensions. Doesn’t matter what the internet tells you, even if they were :100: correct based on their knowledge from X days ago.

1 Like

Could you elaborate on the adjustments? Is RV or monthly payment changed?

100%^

It also very much depends on who issued your actual policy, so reading the fine print of your situation is key. Many BMW dealers sell 3rd party policies that have wildly different terms from one another.

1 Like

Does anyone know where the option to extend the lease is located on BMWFS? I’m logged in but can’t find the option

While things may have changed, pretty sure you have to call in for an extension. It was a few years ago when I did it, so as I mentioned I could def be wrong.

What about warranty? If you go over the 50,000 miles for example due to a lease extension I imagine you’re obliged to return the car in working condition so if say the engine busts out of warranty you’re out of luck.

Yes, but the odds of an engine exploding are very very slim within your allocated mileage.

Correct, any warranty and service contracts are not extended. You are responsible for any repairs if the warranty expires.