BMW Lease Buyout - Transfer Ownership?

Hi, my 530e lease is ending and my parents want to buy out the car, does anyone know how this would work?

I got my payoff info from my BMW account and have the check ready, but what is the process after that? I’m in socal, do i just wait for BMW to send me the title and go to the DMV to ask to transfer the ownership to my parents?

Thanks!

1 Like

Yes, since you can transfer to your parents w/o them having to pay tax again.

Someone here actually did a double transfer and somehow convinced DMV to not charge tax at all during the transfer from the OE (Bank) → Them → Wife.

4.035 Transactions Not Subject to Use Tax

Family Transfers —Transfer of a vehicle/vessel between spouses and/or a natural or legally-adopted parent, grandparent, child, grandchild, or sibling (if the sale is between two minors related by blood or adoption). The application must include a REG 256 showing the relationship of the buyer to the seller (CR&TC §6285).

1 Like

What I mean is OEM->Them should be a taxable transaction.
then Them → Someone else means [Them] gets a refundable transaction, the someone else pays the tax.

He convinced the CA DMV that they don’t need to collect tax at all.

I didn’t know what you meant by OE, so I was explaining at least the spousal part.

And btw, they catch the mistakes.

I once convinced a CA DMV agent that I should only have to pay sales tax on the net cost after my trade (“It doesn’t make sense to tax me on money I’m not spending”), and I got a letter in the mail later demanding the rest.

(CA taxes the full purchase price, regardless of whether there’s a trade involved)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.