BMW I5 - it’s here

and people are also paying $75k for a Type R to do 0-60 in 4.9 seconds.

3 Likes

I would lease one for $499/month with $0 DAS. :grin::joy:

6 Likes

Agree, 100%.

Although the outgoing 5series, specifically LCI is BMW’s best looking vehicle sold.

The new E does look better.

At least BMW is trying. Hopefully this is a sign they abandoned the “Beaver Teeth” look.

1 Like

1st impression: Ugly

Popping into the thread for the 10th time: It’s grown on me

4 Likes

Has the beautiful XM grown on you yet?

I surprisingly like it. But then again I bought 3 Honda Accords in a row. 2008-2010.

2 Likes

I looked away as soon as I saw the price tag. :melting_face:

:fax::fax: A German badge is a German badge. And this one looks like a supermodel compared to the jellybean

3 Likes

Rear end looks like a mashup of the new accord with the amg GT 4 door sedan

The front end looks identical to the 2 series grand coupe

1 Like

Sub $500/mo; come on, its gonna happen one day anyways.

This is, to me, the first BMW new design that I don’t quite like.
When the 4 series and IX (and M3 M4) were extremely controversial, I thought they looked cool. Same with the XM and the new 7, the XM is unique and aggressive, the 7 is less good, but not bad.
This new 5 just feels cheap cheap cheap… the 21MY LCI made it look extremely nice, and this came out…

This is kinda like how I felt when MB rolled out the E class redesign for 2017MY (17-20MY). I thought the previous generation feels stable, well-built, luxury, but that redesign made it look cheap. Gladly the 21MY refresh fixed it. I’m the same vibe here with the new 5.

Just my personal take.

1 Like

I don’t hate it, but the sheetmetal sculpting and blacked out trim (which I assume was needed to hide how utterly enormous it is) do lend it a very awkward, Subaru-esque quality (as another poster mentioned).

I like the way the 3-series looks, but I don’t think that design works well when scaled up so much. To me, this looks like the love child btw an iX and a 3-series. While not surprising, I don’t know if anyone was asking for this. At least it doesn’t have split-level headlights, I guess.

The pillars look slim, but I think it’s a visual trick b/c the look pretty think from the interior shots. I also don’t know if anyone want THAT much back-lit door trim, but what do I know?

And do they really have a “5” on the Hoffmeister kink??? Tacky.

Uhmm, an aging supermodel who had a few plastic surgeries too many ? :wink:

Remember these were considered too radical?

It’s a masterpiece in comparison. The hood line, roof line, deck lid and belt line are all in harmony, as are the character lines running thru the doors and side skirts.

1 Like

I just returned my 2019 leased 530e, and I really like the way the new one looks. I prefer the practicality of the i4 hatchback but the new 5er does seem to have a nicer interior as expected. The range and power look competitive for the new electric version.

But I really hate that BMW made it 5 inches longer! At 199.2 inches in length I’m not sure how that really qualifies as “mid-size” sedan anymore. I live in a townhouse in the middle of Houston, and I’m not sure it will fit in my garage. The last 5 at 195" long was already cutting it close.

Maybe BMW will bring back the i3 for me! It was perfect for urban driving.

Wish the M60 was a PHEV of some sort. 256 mile range for an $85K go kart just doesn’t make sense for the expanse of the DFW metroplex. The design is growing on me, though.

$1500 order deposit??

M4/M3 grew on most people. i7 wont and this won’t as well. Depending on how the M looks I think BMW and Merc need to look at their approach to this new era of design. Audi/Genesis seem to be leading, which is crazy to say the least.

This is my fav 5 series design of all time. Was so ahead if its time