BMW i3 REX Lease expires soon, need suggestions

$35k.
Only had 8000 miles on it. Still really loving it!

1 Like

I’m getting 4.2 - 4.3 Mi/kWh in the 2019, was getting 4.4 in the 2018. (I’m assuming the larger battery? as my driving habits are still the same.)

I think it wouldn’t hurt to ask. I seem to remember someone actually returned their i3 & arranged to buy it back. Saved a bunch compared to the residual. Something like that might work for you. As much as I like the i3, they are a niche car (even in the niche EV market) and now that BMW isn’t making them anymore I have to think a dealership would love to have a buyer.

330e doesn’t qualify for $7500, only $5800 I think. The problem is that they’re in short supply, and finding one at MSRP + a dealer who would give you equity on your i3 (few k), will be tough.

Did you extend your lease with BMW Financial? They may give you a few months, and possibly more if you have another BMW on order. Just an option to stretch you to the end of the year.

If you can hold off until January, a Chevy Bolt would give you a similar vehicle for around $25-34k since it would qualify for $3750 and possibly $7500 depending on battery guidance.

That doesn’t seem a high bar at all. I bet many ~$45k EV would exceed those parameters, especially range and ability to carry stuff and rear seat passengers. And the tech will probably seem miles ahead.

And I bet between depreciation, rebates and APR, the new EV would actually cost you less than the used i3.

1 Like

Recently came off my $149/mo 2019 i3 BEv lease after extended it for 6mos. There hasn’t been any comparable options for EV leases so I switched to a Tesla Model Y (financed) and, man, I missed both the car and the $149/mo payment.

4 Likes

We’ve been offered a 1 year new “early out” lease for $301/mo for the same car which can be terminated upon arrival of the i4 we have on order, or we would be in it for one year and then can turn the car back in.

Trying to decide what makes the most sense here.
I’m not seeing any “good” deals on anything EV right now which makes it more challenging.

That means you get to lease your current car (for a higher price) for up to 1 year? And you can terminate the leas when your i4 arrives?
Could you terminate the lease for any reason? (I. E. you find a different car you like)?

1 Like

That is correct however the lease can only be terminated early if delivery is taken of the ordered vehicle from my understanding.

Tough one. . . only you can say how much you want the i4.

1 Like

Will it still be under warranty? If so I’d seriously consider $3612 to punt for another year :football:

1 Like

It definitely seems like the best option right now to get us through another year. As far as I understand the warranty will remain which is a big plus also.

Someone I know put in an order he didn’t intend to finalize just to be able to extend his i3. This was in Cali where (i guess) deposit is refundable by law.

1 Like

That is a solid move for sure! Can’t find anything good for $300/mo right now

So work with the dealer when returning the car, or do you call BMWFS and negotiate with them. Any tips on how to handle this effectively and get the most out of it ?

My last day to return car (after 6m extensions) according to bmwfs: Oct/31
DMV renewal: Nov/4

Can I return the car to dealer Nov/1 or even Nov/3 without any major charges? I want to avoid dmv renewal as you pay for entire year which is not refundable.

I believe 10/31 is your last day to return the car. Better call your dealer to find out. I returned my i3 on the last minute of that last day and the lease return manager was not in the office of course. They called me back a few days later to confirm my return.

You will get a late fee which can be quite hefty, hope those 3 days were worth it.

luckily got no late fee (BMWFS said I could return the vehicle within 2-5 days without any problems) , just got the disposition fee of $350+tax ($386 total), didn’t know there were taxes on top of this fee too, I should have negotiated for this fee at dropoff. Car was finally returned but I could not get any equity out of it after checking with 3 dealers. Car is now listed for 5k over my buyout price.

1 Like

Well that’s nice of them to give you 5 days, I’ll remember that BMW FS lets you do that.

is the 5k at the returning dealer? If so, they should’ve done a buyout and eaten the Disposition.

yes, it is listed on their website. I should have at least negotiated for zero dispo fee when they said there is no equity on this vehicle.