BMW i3 Opinions

Leased an i3 Rex from Dan (DiscountSales 2020) on November 25th, 2019. Here are my thoughts:

PROS:

• Lightning quick and genuinely fun to drive; I need to remind myself to calm it down a bit when driving.
  • I’m 6"3" and the interior is airy and has lots of space; fits me great as there’s no console to get in the way
  • Easy charging at home (only added a 240v dryer line in my garage) / haven’t added gas yet
  • Having the tiny engine is a nice backup
  • Giga World interior is so unique
  • Love the quirky looks
  • Easy to drive with 1 pedal when you just let off the accelerator
  • Super cheap lease (279 all in with 0 DAS)

CONS:

• Overall range will decrease with heater / AC usage. You can offset this in the winter by using the seat heaters, and in summer by using Eco-Pro mode
  • You have to be more cognizant of potholes and craters, as the tires are narrow (I have the 19’s) and the suspension is firm.
  • The way the car decelerates may take a little getting used to. It felt weird at first, but now it’s fine.
  • Not too much cargo room (however, I did fit 2 bikes in the back with the seats down).
  • If I drive, I have to scoot up so someone can actually fit behind me. Normal height people should be OK to fit 4.
  • Clamshell doors are a bit of a PIA, and one has to watch their head when getting in (even if they’re short)

So, would I do it again? Yep. With a family of 4 (two teenagers) it works, plus we have 2 other cars to use for longer trips.

Hope this helps

2 Likes

Wow thanks for your insight. I think I’ve got on board with this idea, just have to source one in state to take advantage of NJ’s excellent incentive and rebates for ev’s.

My younger one is embarrassed by the look of the i3, but OP won’t have this problem for awhile.

I am currently on my third i3 and got the 2019 BEV for my (used to be) 100 miles rt commute in So-Cal. I loved the go-cart quickness, size and practicality. For a sub $200 car it cannot be beaten. I no longer have the commute and currently in the process of transferring the lease to another LH member. We are keeping the GC lease as the family car. I thought about keeping the i3 and getting rid of the SUV but decided against it in case life opens up early next year. For occasional grocery run, i3 is ok even for a family with a kid.

I loved my i3 then came the second winter I had it. The miles reduced drastically. Today’s i3’s have better mileage so might not be such a problem. Definitely fun to drive though.

The i3 is my favorite car I’ve owned. It’s futuristic, fun to drive, and the build quality is absolutely fantastic. I personally loved it in Ionic Silver. Call me crazy, but it almost felt like driving an electric i8 hatchback.

That being said it’s definitely not for everyone. There are drawbacks with the narrow tires and limited range, although the latter is significantly improved on newer models. Even though I had the Range Extender on my 2015 if I made trips beyond 60 miles each way I would forgo some comforts like AC for stretches of the trip to limit my time charging or filling up the 2-gallon tank at a gas station. The 20” tires were also incredibly susceptible to going flat, and produced a harsh ride over potholes and uneven road surfaces.

I also don’t really like what BMW did aesthetically on the LCI i3. I almost purchased one in Imperial Blue Metallic, but I’ve seen a few on the road and it looks decidedly less aesthetically-appealing than my 2015. The chrome decal also cheapens the look in my opinion. Somehow they took a step back in style on the newer model.

While the base model retains the same instant torque (which has a very linear smooth acceleration that makes the 0-60 time on paper feel quicker than expected), loading it with options like the tech package and Harman/Kardon sound system makes a huge difference.

I remain hopeful that BMW has a few upgrades in store for the 2021 model year to make the i3 more competitive beyond a very welcome range increase to around 200 EPA-rated miles.

Yeah, my 14 year-old son as well, but I tell him, “Tough sh$#, get in the car,” and we go happily on our way!

1 Like

Haha that’s fantastic!

When he pays for the car and gas he can choose, learnt that the hard way :triumph:.

That makes two of us that swear in front of 14 year olds lol.

My daughter turned 16 last month and subsequently now has her full drivers license. I offered her our i3 as her car and I was…image

Then I guess it’s time to start saving!

She can have the Vista Cruiser instead :rofl:

I’ve noticed quite a few people fall in love with their first EV… if that’s the case, how much of your positive experience would you say was unique to the i3 vs other EVs in a similar price range?

i3 or a bicycle…your choice!

1 Like

She opted for choice C…she took my wife’s 430 coupe😜

since we sold the Tacoma to Carvana last week, my wife and I are going to share the i3 for the time being, neither of us are really driving all that much so well give the 3 drivers / 2 cars approach a try.

My first EV of sorts was a Chevrolet Volt. I loved the concept, and it was very unique at the time, but the pure electric range was pretty pitiful.

We had a few of those before getting our first i3 and 5 of them later I still love it!

Apart from Sheldon Cooper I don’t think any 16yr old would take an i3 over a 430 coupe

1 Like

5 EV in total or 5 i3?

5 i3…The combination of operating cost, usability, and eccentric quirkiness is too hard to resist. It doesn’t hurt that they have also been easy to at lease hack as well, LOL