Agree, as a consumer this subscription stuff for things already installed is asinine. There would need to be a major shift in consumer mind sets to think this garbage is ok. I feel like the bottom end of the market is giving you more standard equipment while the Germans want to nickel and dime you for everything.
most consumers are quite ignorant so it’s probably easy to convince them this is ok, just like the people paying 15-20k in markups ![]()
It may be nice for certain features. Know you are going on a road trip or to a big city? Rent the assistance pro package. I would never ever use that normally so kinda pointless to pay for the whole thing.
Think this has already happened and it started with phones. No one saves up to buy shit any more. It’s all monthly payments.
That’s a function of current market conditions, nobody wants to pay msrp or more, they don’t have a choice.
There is always a choice.
Ha, the phone thing blows my mind. You’ll see a 13 year old with a $1000 iPhone. Frugal people will find the deals, I never pay full price for a phone.
Yeah, don’t buy. But some people need a car, crash or mechanically totaled, can’t do much about that, and used cars are more than new cars, nothing makes sense for the last couple of years
The navigation system in my 2018 BMW essentially became almost worthless at 4 years from the car’s in-service date, and I can only make it usable again with a paid subscription.
The same will happen on my 2019 next year.
This has made me re-think getting another BMW.
Who even uses navigation systems though? My cars all have built on ones, I don’t know the last time I used one. I have Apple CarPlay and that is my navigation system. I see Nav systems going the way of CD players in cars pretty soon.
Waze on your CarPlay? ![]()
I don’t use Waze. I know I’m weird ![]()
CarPlay isn’t integrated with HUD.
Also, the 2018 doesn’t support CarPlay (but I could pay BMW $300 to add it!).