BMW Free Maintenance - Does it transfer over?

Does anyone happen to know if BMW’s included maintenance transfers over to the new owner after completing the lease transfer process? My understanding is that around 2017/2018 BMW made some changes where 1- the brakes were no longer covered & 2- maintenance was for the original owner only. I was wondering if this applied to lease transfers as well. Also I heard there was a maintenance refresh type package that you could buy which would cover brakes + allow transfer to new owner. I think I saw one of the brokers on here offer to sell the for $475 or something—I have not been able to locate that post or broker again unfortunately.

1 Like

It does not. Unless you have UC+.

5 Likes

I believe it was @nyclife that posted that $475 offer previously

1 Like

let me google that for you

https://www.bmwusa.com/explore/bmw-value/bmw-maintenance/terms-and-conditions.html

3 Likes

Thanks I will reach out to him in that case. I figured it didn’t transfer over, but needed to know the name of the broker offering this service.

If anyone else offers UC+ please do PM me

1 Like

I have a question relating to this topic too. I just took over a lease last week and when I check the Warranty & Service portion on the BMW website, it says I am eligible for Scheduled Maintenance (3 years/36k miles) for $100. Is anyone familiar with this? Is this some sort of fee to reinstate the maintenance that’s lost during a lease transfer?

1 Like

Yes. You need to call the finance dept at a dealership in order for them to ‘reinstate’ it. It’s $100 for the UltimateCare ‘refresh’, but dealers do mark it up sometimes.

Edit: just checked some old PM’s… it’s the Finance dept that has to do it, not the service dept.

2 Likes

Thanks. That’s not a bad deal, now I just need to find a dealer who is willing to play ball at $100.

1 Like

I’m not sure but I think the refresh fee is fixed at 100 and you pay BMW corporate and not a dealer.

1 Like

do you know what the “refresh” is for? is that what makes it transfer over? Or do we need to buy UC+ for transfer privileges…

My understanding is that the ‘refresh’ is not really to transfer it over but to ‘activate’ it again on the recently transferred vehicle. Does that make sense?

@ZZAutoDeals shared this with me some time back, and it was super helpful

“The Service Department, from what I understand, can’t refresh the maintenance for you. Has to be the Finance Department. So I just called the Finance Department at my local BMW dealer and told them “BMW NA told me to call you guys to refresh the Scheduled Maintenance on my newly transferred car. They told me it is $100 for the standard maintenance refresh and $700 for the upgraded maintenance to cover the brakes, but said I have to call my dealer’s Finance Department to process the transaction.”

5 Likes

That’s exactly what it is. You just call the Finance Department of your local dealer and tell them you just assumed a lease and would like to purchase the Scheduled Maintenance for $100. They may try to charge you more or try to get you to buy the UC+ instead, but if you’re firm and show them you know it costs only $100, they’ll usually back down and just send you the invoice and paperwork to fill out and send back. It’s super easy and I’ve done it a few times on BMW leases I’ve taken over. It completely removes all worries of “losing maintenance” after a transfer. And for $100 it’s a bargain.

3 Likes

My understanding from him was you need to add it within first month of ownership to get that deal.

Not true. You can pay this to any dealer’s finance department. They essentially act as the “broker” to sell you the service from BMW NA. Same as when you lease a new car and buy UC+, you’re not paying BMW NA anything directly - you pay the finance department for it.

1 Like

@ZZAutoDeals and @Kctham18 are correct. I just spoke to a finance manager at my local dealer and he confirmed it’s $100 to reinstate the standard Ultimate Care maintenance package. I’ll be purchasing it later today.

Thanks everyone.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.