BMW end of lease charges

Had a friend who recently turned in his BMW lease vehicle with about 20,000 miles on it and they wanted to charge him 800.00 for tires? Wound up charging for 1 tire and he felt like he got a “deal”. On my last service for my BMW, rep wanted to put on 2 new tires….car had about 13,000 miles on it at the time. I asked them to put the backs on the front and seemed like this wasn’t part of the program. (He did it anyway….good guy) Seems all related to the special packages they sell you for brakes, tires etc. in the little “finance room”…Since when are tires only good for 13-20K miles? Are all makes doing this now? Definitely makes me re-think another BMW

Was this more than the expected amount from the pre-turn in inspection?

What was the remaining treadlife on the replaced tires?

I can’t remember the last time I was able to get 13,000 miles out of a pair of rear tires.

This has nothing to do with BMW. Any lessor will charge you when you return the vehicle with worn-out tires.

I think if the dealer only charged for the one tire, that is pretty fair.

The more aggressive M cars can wear through tires really quick. Especially if you are driving “spiritedly”. I always check my tires prior to the return, and you can get a pair of new or lightly used tires at a discount from the forums or Ebay. If you don’t want to deal with that hassle, I think it’s pretty reasonable for a dealer to only charge for one tire.

Tires are not cheap on performance cars, that’s just part of the lease. Also, keep in mind summer performance rated tires are super grippy but wear down faster than your run of the mill all season tires. Each type of tire has different compromises. The wear often has more to do with the driver and driving style than the tire.

1 Like

Wow replacing tires every year huh? Im outta touch I guess…when you make payment to BMW financial, are they the actual lessor?

Yes, BMWFS is the lessor. The point is that you’ll run into this issue with any lessor if you turn in the vehicle with worn down tires.

It takes me 3-4 years to put 13,000 miles on a car, but when the tires are shot, they’re shot.

Having a RWD car with staggered fitments (I always seem to have at least one of these) means that the tires can’t be rotated back/front, so I’ll go through ~3 pairs of rear tires to one pair of fronts.

Another factor, as noted above, is that I do drive like an a-hole. :wink:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.