BMW Dealers Not Interested in Buyout of 2018 X5 sDrive35i with 26k miles

Hi Everyone,

I can’t find a local BMW dealer that is interested in a buyout of my car and I’m hoping to get more information on what I can do.

I have a 2018 BMW X5 with only 26k miles and my lease is ending next month. My payoff amount is $36k and CarMax appraised the market value at $42K, but I can’t find a local BMW dealer that’s interested. The car is in perfect condition and clean carfax, so I don’t know why I’m having no luck. Are X5’s not in demand? Any guidance on what I can do to get some of the ‘equity’ would be greatly appreciated.

If there is potential $6k profit consider driving 5+ hours and check non-local dealers.

Or read this and check if you can deal with all this work.

1 Like

I have the same issue with my 2018 x5 40e. 21k miles (should have 36k). I have $500 in equity from BMW dealer. BMW must have really missed on their residual values 3 years ago.

Buy it and flip it. CA is the only state that allows you to do that and get the sales tax back. Search the forum for more info.

1 Like

Curse of the old body style.

6 Likes

Are they flat out refusing to buy it? Or just not offering as much as Carmax?

1 Like

not interested is weird as they are desperate for cars . Probably they are not offering you the money you are looking for
only thing that comes to mind , is they know you are going to return it and they will buy from BMWFS for 36 K , and get the processing fee