.75% is expert level
.5% is Sensei level
.4% is unicorn level
below .4% - is you stole it level

9 Likes

Just ignore it, for your sanity.

2 Likes

LOL. Got it. :sunglasses:

This. I think “1%” should be censored on this forum like the f word.

The ‘best lease deal you can get’ depends on incentives, RV, MF and typical dealer discount of the specific vehicle you’re working towards. And obviously the annual mileage allowed, a deal at 15k miles/yr should be held to a different standard than 7.5k. Some cars you’re a total idiot if you can’t negotiate below 0.7%, like a base 320i demo. Other cars like a RDX SH-AWD A-Spec with no incentives there’s no possible way to pay less than 1+%. Every vehicle is different. IMO this 1% scam only leads to inexperienced lessees making totally unrealistic offers to dealers or getting screwed by not realizing that they can do way better.

Bottom line: get the best possible deal you can on the vehicle you want, regardless of what the % of MSRP payment is. Buy the car not the deal. Personally I’d be happier paying $550/mo for an RDX than $300/mo for a QX60.

1 Like

I disagree. I don’t think anyone without lease experience would be considered horribly ripped off at 1% on most cars, even if they could have done better. It’s a fair deal at worst, hence the rule.

So someone leasing a $45k 320i demo with 4500 miles on a 36/10 at 450/mo wouldn’t be horribly ripped off? Mmmmmkay.

1% refers to new anyway

Completely ripped off, and this thread is hurting my head

1 Like

1% rule called a rule of thumb. A quick way for you to walk out of a deal without even breaking out your iphone. If dealer quotes you > 1% walk away, no further dilly dally. If dealer is at 1%, then you say show me numbers and sharpen your pencil …

What is so hard to understand about a rule of thumb unless you are obstinate and opinionated??

Ps 1% rule also exists in real estate investing …

1 Like

I live by the 1% rule, once you get a taste it’s hard to go back. I feel like I’m getting ripped off otherwise, 1% is the max for me.

1 Like

You may still get ripped off on a 1% deal LOL

well if the car is grossly overpriced, some infiniti’s come to mind

It is not that - there might be huge incentives, for example, that make any current deal above 0.6% a rip off.

1 Like

Let’s try to stay on topic.

It’s why I said, you sharpen your pencil…

What is the topic, o great one with one-click landfill powers, other than OP trying to understand the fundamental concepts of leasing?

1 Like

I know some brands have conquest cash if you own a BMW (Like the Volvo S60). You can always find a 2018 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport/Touring and trade into that car…it’s super nice! Even with 5k negative equity, you will still be under 500/mo.

I would keep the car and keep driving it.
Here’s my math, it’s very simple:
a) Your lease is $545 for 1,000 miles per month. You pay $0.545 per mile which is normal for a nice car like your X3 M Sports. Or any nice car you will lease.
b) You will pay an extra of $0.25 for every extra mile you put on that car. Now that’s cheap in my math. If you go and get another nice car, you will pay 55-60 cents a mile.
Let me know how you end up.
Thanks

1 Like

BMW now has a $2,500 loyalty that you can apply to part of that $3k over run.
Nice to have.
Best of luck.
Next time get 15k/mo

1 Like

Nice definitions! I think they are accurate.

That said, so I can get unicorn status, can you consider adjusting that up to 0.5 from 0.4%? If not, Ill be happy with the Sensei moniker (2018 330e, $56,675 for $290/mo including tax, $0 DAS, 7 MSDs and the maintenance plan…which I refused until the Finance guy made it so cheap I couldn’t not take it).