Beware of … a typical dealer or noob mistakes?

Who did you work with?

The salesperson told me it was there over the phone and asked me what’s a good day for me to come check it out.

1 Like

I believe his name was Mark Homsi.

Sure, but you’d be much better served by just putting together an offer and tell then how much you’re willing to pay instead of ask them how much they want you to pay.

2 Likes

Makes sense, thank you for the advice.

Agree- never visit without numbers renegotiated. Rookie mistake. I normally have friends do it to see how much scamming takes place before I do my leasehackr magic so they can get wowed at the savings.

5 Likes

I would never walk into a dealership unless it’s to pickup a pre-negotiated deal.

7 Likes

Also on op- if you see those numbers and you think you will get anywhere by finding out the MF, you are delusional.

The best thing you could have done at that point was said thank you and left. You should know what your target deal before interacting with a salesperson and therefore you should also know what a full msrp deal would be without asking for their specific numbers

2 Likes

You made a mistake by asking for MF. A salesperson does not care about those details. If you did your research (knowing, MF, RV, incentives you qualify for), you could have sniffed out a terrible deal without having to ask this forum.

Dealers are not just going to give you their best offer right off the bat. I was recently negotiating a deal with the GM at an Audi dealership, and I remember him telling me over the phone that he enjoyed the back and forth. We had a courteous conversation, btw.

3 Likes

You needed to walk in with a Payment / DAS in mind. If you let them lead you then you will never get a good deal.

Generally, salespeople who work the showroom floor focus on gross profit, whereas internet/fleet salespeople focus on volume.

If you had sent an email to the internet sales manager of the same dealership, you likely would have gotten a lower quote on the same car. (Too late now, because they have your name in the system; you’re tied to that retail salesperson.)

It’s this system that allows for Leasehackr-worthy “loser” deals. Retail sales make a profit for the dealer on each car sold, while internet sales can afford to take on some losses per unit in order to reach volume targets – which then entitles the dealership to a volume bonus from the manufacturer. They balance each other out.

It’s a little different for May, since inventories are tight, but generally that’s how it works.

18 Likes

Did you have a goal in mind? Expect him to walk up with a unicorn deal?

No he’s going to give you the highest payment he can and then pretend there’s nowhere to go, he’s a salesman, not a chump.

That works for some people and they walk out of there paying 900 a month.

Now if you follow the suggestions here, build a reasonable deal and then find a dealer who’s willing to deal via email, then you have a plan.

The real key to all of this is you broke Rule #1

1. Never walk into a dealer without knowing your payments and getting the dealer to agree ahead of time.

You instead walked into a Spider’s web and danced to their tune until you finally escaped.

It doesn’t matter which dealer you do this to. You could walk into Cody’s , Ethan’s, or ChevySalesGirl (Forgot your name, sorry) and even though those 3 give incredible deals, you won’t get it as you landed in the spider web trap.

Can that ever change? Meaning can you go through internet sales on next lease if the sales rep is still there?

I understand the whole telling them what you want before going into the dealership. But, is it okay for the salesman to not tell me the MF or not letting me touch his paper. From all these responses I feel treating a customer with respect doesn’t matter anymore.

I think that if someone else on here can squeeze that lemon tomorrow for a good deal regardless of how you were treated they probably would do it. I do wish you had been treated better though for what it’s worth but not sure that’s worth much. Keep grinding and find a deal that works for you in this market and pay no mind to that interaction.

He can do whatever he wants. And so you can you. There are lots of BMW dealerships in the SoCal area; try one of them instead.

4 Likes

“ you know the MF and I don’t, I feel like if you gave me the MF, I would know, but you know and I don’t know”

What do you have some sort of MF fetish?

4 Likes

You’re hilarious

He doesn’t have any obligation to tell you. Nor does it really matter what he’s charging. With that said, it’s poor form to not tell you, and I certainly wouldn’t reward that behavior by working with him any further.

5 Likes