Beware of … a typical dealer or noob mistakes?

I understand the whole telling them what you want before going into the dealership. But, is it okay for the salesman to not tell me the MF or not letting me touch his paper. From all these responses I feel treating a customer with respect doesn’t matter anymore.

I think that if someone else on here can squeeze that lemon tomorrow for a good deal regardless of how you were treated they probably would do it. I do wish you had been treated better though for what it’s worth but not sure that’s worth much. Keep grinding and find a deal that works for you in this market and pay no mind to that interaction.

He can do whatever he wants. And so you can you. There are lots of BMW dealerships in the SoCal area; try one of them instead.

4 Likes

“ you know the MF and I don’t, I feel like if you gave me the MF, I would know, but you know and I don’t know”

What do you have some sort of MF fetish?

4 Likes

You’re hilarious

He doesn’t have any obligation to tell you. Nor does it really matter what he’s charging. With that said, it’s poor form to not tell you, and I certainly wouldn’t reward that behavior by working with him any further.

5 Likes

I bought my last car at the same dealership where, just a few months earlier, I had an awful encounter with a different salesperson.

1 Like

Why are you talking to a salesperson anyway? Only deal with the sales manager directly . Better know your numbers first, otherwise they’ll chew you up.

Looks like you need to do your HW first

I find it interesting that your first question was, “what MF are you using”?

If he told you and it was .00093, would you have purchased the car right then and there?

You either like the numbers or you walk. And…as everyone else has said here, the only way to do that is to present the numbers you want based on your research and go from there.

The salesman knew you weren’t buying.

9 Likes

Agree

Just doing the math on this car it’s an above msrp deal by 4% on top of max MF

Again, for op to even ask about MF makes it seem like he had no idea what he was walking in to and how to approach it, so he makes the dealer salesman look like the bad guy. Sure it’s a shitty offer, but you could have prevented that by doing your research and making a reasonable offer first.

I would have to disagree with this a little. While talking to a salesperson is annoying, it does give a sales manager leeway to “save face” so to speak by pretending that they were given the wrong information, and what they actually meants was… (while the sales person stands there looking all embarrassed like, as if he gives a shit) , or to step in and act a hero, or let the sales person act like a hero. It’s all gimmicky bullshit, but sometimes it helps if one has time on their hands and willingness to play games until they get what they want.

The very last deal I did was for my daughter’s car in which I actually walked into the dealership. I had my wife and daughter go for a test drive couple days before that to make sure that’s the car she wants. Sat with a sales guy for about 7 minutes and it was done. Faster than going back and forth with countless emails. They knew that I was a serious buyer because probably over 90% of email inquiries won’t lead to a deal. I did have a discount % at base MF in mind (which ultimately means what monthly payment). They are more than welcome to raise MF as long as I get a bigger discount. Same thing to me.

2 Likes

South Bay is notorious for marking up their MF to the max as their default, though they will budge if you’re working with the right person. Some of their internet folks are actually pretty nice - look up their staff and either go with a manager or an internet person and have a deal in place before walking into the dealer next time. The only two times you should go to the dealer in person, IMO, is (1) to test drive a car or see a car in person, or (2) when you’ve already negotiated a deal and you’re going there to sign and take the car home. Negotiations shouldn’t be happening in person at the dealer. It’s sad, but that’s just the reality.

5 Likes

Do not mention this to any dealer. LOL.
This statement ruins 90% of their business model.

2 Likes

LOL, true. I’ll reserve it for the other 10% (aka LH members :wink:)

2 Likes

And that’s the point

2 Likes

There are plenty of dealers in SoCal that will beat SBBMW. I happen to know many of their Internet salesforce, and while they will offer deals that are at base MF, they fall short of “good deals”. Even their best negotiated loaner deals are meh. There are exceptions but pretty rare. Service department is great though (at least for things under warranty-can’t speak to irrops)

Broaden your search, start with emailing or texting your target deal, include your desired MF and pre incentive discount (or slightly more discount so they can come up from your original offer), and work from there.

I know how it feels though to be at the dealer and see a stupid offer and want to try to justify to them why their offer is stupid. It always ends in frustration. Don’t do it, man🧟

Thread should have been titled “beware of making noob mistakes.”

4 Likes

Maybe we should edit the title since it is not really a fair statement about the dealer.

1 Like

Can I just say the one thing I don’t think was explicitly said…

get thicker skin.

Whether you’re applying for jobs, schools, asking girls out, negotiating on price…you make an attempt, they said no, etc. That’s life. Get up and do it again. My kid falls constantly but it’s how she learns to walk.

2 Likes