Better to lease in NY or TN

given everything going on in the world these days, I find myself working remotely more. my folks live in NY and I live in TN so I was wondering if it could benefit me to lease in one state/region vs another. The car would ultimately be registered in TN.

1 Like

No MSDs if you get it from NY, but lower doc fees. If the incentives are different will depend on if the brand bases them off of the dealer location or registration location.

What are you trying to lease?

bmw or audi

Why do you say no MSDs if from NY? I talked to multiple BMW dealers in NY (and registering car in NY) and they offered MSDs

Because NY dealers cannot do MSDs

And for one or two brands, NY residents cannot do MSDs regardless of where purchased

Get quotes from both and lease from the one that costs you less overall after running the math. Negotiate with both.

I would assume that the insurance in Tennessee is a fraction of what would be in NY. Maybe it’s not expensive where they live, but I know that N.J. vs Nyc is 1/3rd the price.

The question is regarding to where to purchase the car, not where to garage it. Insurance is a moot point here.

Now, if he were asking if he should garage the car in NY or TN, that would be different.

Have you had that conversation recently? NY state doesn’t allow MSDs.

Yeah, like in mid may I was talking to a dealer in Brooklyn and one or two north of the ciry