Better Than a Lease? A Balloon Loan Primer

“Easy to deal with” and “credit union” don’t really belong in the same thought bubble, in my experience… You don’t really go to one for concierge service, you go there for cheap money. :slight_smile:

I just suffered significant abuse and neglect at the hands of DCU on a (traditional) auto loan to buy out my lease, but I expected that going in.

In the past 10+ years, this was probably the slowest, most aggravating experience I’ve had on a financial transaction (that wasn’t a mortgage), but I would do it again for this:

4 Likes

I’m likely going to go with a balloon for the TRX I’ll be keeping. I’ll be putting a big down payment (around 30k). Just trying to figure out if I want a base which would be around 280 a month or a lightly optioned level one which would be close to 390 a month.

This would be for a 5 year term. And I should have equity at the end since the balloon payment will be just over 31k.

On a interesting note, one of the CU website says that the car can be returned after the payments are fulfilled. I’ll have to check with them but that seems pretty low risk if you find yourself underwater on one of these loans. I’m sure there’s a fee for that, but can’t be a bad thing since it adds an extra layer of protection.

2 Likes

This actually has value which can be compared against the considerable additional interest expense of a balloon product.

One could legitimately ask oneself the question, “Is the cost of the insurance coverage worth the premium charged for the product?” [no pun intended] and then make an informed decision.

Yeah, and I believe the dispo fee is only $195 to return the vehicle. Excess mileage of only $.10 a mile too. Gonna see if I can get them on the phone today, but hoping it’s around 3.74%

1 Like

Hanscom Fed CU - let’s you register if you’re a member of Nashua River Watershed (check their website for exact name) it’s a $35 membership/donation fee

I did that and was able to successfully be a member. Cali I don’t know - since Cali doesn’t make it easy for it’s resident anyways. I can confirm it works for Texas and IL residents.

Ameri CU doesn’t make it easy and their service denied they don’t serve out of NY - their website says you can donate and be a member. CAPED denied me saying my identity doesn’t match their records

CU are the worst to deal with but they have good features

Comparing total cost and monthly payments to purchase a 2022 Camaro ZL1 w/ $25K down.

2022 CHEVROLET CAMARO V8 2D COUPE ZL1 MSRP $70K
_ 24mo BL payment at $287/mo with $25K DAS
_ After 2 years you will pay $287x24 and buyout for $48K worth $68K
Your total cost of ownership is $9888. Your effective payment is $412/mo.

versus

2022 CHEVROLET CAMARO V8 2D COUPE ZL1 MSRP $70K
_ 84 mo Conventional financing at $672/mo with $25K DAS
_ Keep for 2 years, you will pay $672x24 and buyout for $37K worth $68K
Your total cost of ownership is $8128. Your effective payment is $332/mo.

For reference, on Rodo, a 48mo lease is $1085/mo with $6190 DAS.

2 Likes

Which CU was this? I agree with @trism that this is a valuable feature.

Hanscom, dispo fee is $195.

Keep in mind it’s not the credit unions dictating the terms of the program. It’s the credit unions choosing to offer the AFG contract addendum to permit the return of the vehicle to the lienholder. I can share the actual contract for those interested.

I left this out, somewhat on purpose, because it can complicate the decision making process. While it’s true the disposition fee is only $195, the contract addendum includes mileage limits, and wear and tear limits, both applied as residual value adjustment. Although this is similar to a lease, selling the vehicle to anyone else, other then the lienholder, will avoid enforcement of these considerations.

That’s a good point. At any point during the loan you feel you may need to turn the car in when the balloon is due, it’s a good idea to care for the car as a lease. I wouldn’t modify the car in any way that’s hard to get it back to stock.

Still not having luck finding a Cali-based CU that does Balloon/Saver loans.

Do the ones listed by the OP do Cali transactions? Sorry if this is obvious but I’ve only dealt with local CUs for financing.

I’m preapproved with Hanscom. Get in on it!

I found some more CUs that offer Payment Saver type loans with Walk Away Options

Payment Saver Auto Loan Program | Greater Nevada Credit Union (Nevada)

They are Nevada-based with a walk away option, membership is only open to those who reside in Nevada and their immediate family.

Interesting. I used Hanscom’s locator and found a local Co-Op office and that happens to be the CU I have an account with, LBS Financial.

I wonder how that works? I guess I should contact LBS.

Edit: I called them, would still need to join with Hanscom or CapFed first, but at least I can use this local branch for any in-person items.

Do you know of any for nys?

My last one was with pen fed last year. Might be looking to get another one done.

Yeah in the orig wiki post, there is Hanscom FCU, and SEFCU. Both are based in upstate NY afaik.

1 Like

Just about every upstate CU has some form of balloon.

1 Like

Thanks ill look

Credit Union of Texas is another option. They refer to their program as FlexAuto Loans. I spoke to them on Friday, they said it’s possible for an out of stater to join. They claim their rates are 1.99%. Planning to go with them once I’ve locked down a vehicle.

3 Likes

I just called twice and spoke to two different people, and they said it’s only for Texas residents … :frowning:

Anyone knows of any CU offering this for NJ?