Better Than a Lease? A Balloon Loan Primer

Same for me, you just need to know what you are doing. If you qualify for tax credit the Tesla M3 is a steal!

Thanks to this thread, I went out looking for options. I found at least two. I ended up dealing with Credit Union of Texas. They call it flex loan.
I have a 2021 sienna xle worth around 40k but only owe 30k, so I took that flex loan and my loan payments went down from 670 to 410 (plus a 10k residual). The rate I had with ally (lease to loan) was 8.9% while CUTX gave me 6.75% for this deal

7 Likes

hell yeah, cars that depreciate slow … this is a no brainer :wink:

How much is the ballon payment or is that what they are calling the “residual” for the end? How many months did you sign for?

1 Like

yeah, the ballon payment/residual varies based on the vehicle. My 2021 Sienna with 40k miles (worth around $37k), owed 30k, 6.65%.
payments of $408 for 71 months and residual of 10400. Went from Ally 8.5% 570/mo to this.
A vw id4 pro S (owed 39.5k with taxes) $523 /mo for 71 + residual of 15k or so. also 6.65%. I went from ally 8.75% 590/mo to this.

1 Like

Always been confused how ballon works?

I have my GLE63 that’s been in the shop and wondering if I should do a refinance with ballon since I have good equity into the deal

1 Like

You get a big ballon like ballon boy and you put everything in there and let it go
Simple? :dotted_line_face:

2 Likes

The AFG programs don’t usual have favorable RVs for MB products, non-withstanding the EQ whatevers which they just can adjust to fast enough. Butt you can setup a calculator here to see what it yields; First Eagle Calculator

1 Like

I’ve never taken the time to read up or understand either. I just assumed it was a Texas thing.

If anybody has questions, just returned my first balloon loan car back to AFG. It was a 22 MYP and was my wife’s car. Bought it at the top of the market with NO TAX CREDIT and lost A TON OF money on it($35k).

Residual/Balloon/Buyout was $39k, adj MMR was around $33k. AFG was easy to deal with, had a rep assigned to me that was my main point of contact. They had me drive the car to the nearest Manheim lot (a 15 minute drive for me) but they will arrange transport as well.

Dispostion fee+damages(all 4 wheels were curbed and had some fender damage etc). AFG takes that off the buyout amount and then pays your bank, you are responsible for any overages. Overall, very positive experience on my end other than having bought this car at a very bad time. Huge thanks to @z0lt3c for all the guidance.

9 Likes

So it was only a 3 year balloon loan or did you return it early?

No it was a 2 year balloon, picked it up in March 2022. $1500/month for an MYP :clown_face:

1 Like

6 Likes

That’s…a…good deal…? :face_vomiting:

Na, I misjudged the market a lot and mistakes were made.

1 Like

Props for admitting it.

I’m still regretting my GC 4xe that I can’t trade-in early… glad I did a 24/mo… only about a year left.

4 Likes

Live and learn. Respect for posting your experience :handshake:

4 Likes

I used a balloon loan on my 2020 4Runner that I purchased from USB. Did 42 months with the option of returning at 36 months and payment was around $410ish. I used a small credit union called CapEd and they were great to work with. Held it for a little over a year and just sold it to Carmax with around 6k of equity.

6 Likes

You just cut them a check at the end?

Walk away balloon? You’re not responsible for the negative equity?