Best way to buy a Tesla if you don't qualify for the rebate?

Best option right now for the money is Ioniq 5 SEL lease :call_me_hand:

2 Likes

Gotta disagree as an owner of both the Ioniq 5 AWD and Tesla Model 3 Dual motor- poor comparison. The Model 3 had a trunk, not a hatch, making it completely unsuitable for dogs or taller packages. The Ioniq’s trunk space is also very deceptive- it looks small, but the rear seats both slide forwards and tilt. It also has a false flat floor you can remove- if you do the cargo bed sits about 3” lower. With two kids under 3 we slide the rear seats forwards, leave the false floor out and have room for a 75 lb German Shepard and full size stroller plus stuff in the back- in no world is that comparable to a Model 3.

The Ioniq is also 6 inches taller than a 3 and just an inch shorter than the Y. It has a half inch more front leg room than the Y, 1.5” more rear leg room and equal front and rear headroom. I get that the Ioniq 5 looks like a hatchback but it’s actually much, much bigger and in some ways roomier that the Y- Consumer reports lists the 5 as having 3.5 more cubic feet of trunk space, and that’s with the seats back and the false floor in. I agree the Y has more real world space, particularly when the frunk and underfloor cubby are counted, it’s just not nearly as much as you’d think.

As for driving experience the Y (and 3) have better high speed acceleration but the Ioniq is much more responsive down low- you can actually get it sliding around with TC off. It’s also a much better, more consistent driver’s car in my opinion. I know some will disagree but the on the limit behavior of the Tesla is downright bad in my opinion (coming from a racing/ autocross/ driving instructor perspective). The poorly tuned stability control combined with inconsistent regenerative braking leads to feet of uncertainty at an apex when on you approach the limit. The Ioniq on the other hand has both a better judged suspension and tuning- it’s no hot hatch but it’s actually somewhat enjoyable to push a bit on a back road, unlike the Tesla.

YMMV, but the 3 is another class entirely and doesn’t belong in the conversation.

Model Y Performance vs Ioniq 5 comparison for another take:

2 Likes

I’ve owned two Ioniq’s (SEL and Limited) and preferred them to the Y. I don’t like having a car that I see like 4 at the same intersection.

Of course Hyundai isn’t a luxury brand, but then again neither is Tesla. :wink:

Lease pass through is the way to go when you make too much money. I’m hoping government doesn’t close that loophole.

2 Likes

If u r in NJ, leasing an ID4 makes absolute sense. You can get a killer deal on id4 pro S.

1 Like

Yeah, that loophole bypasses both the income limit as well as domestically built. Without it, the manufacturers would have to kick in some large incentives to move the EVs like Ioniq, ID4, C40, and i4 which are reasonable only with the lease credit.

I usually measure a car’s interior comfort using, you know, full size human adults, in the seating positions, as my comparison.

Model Y

Ioniq 5

Which looks more comfortable?

Seriously? Look at the rear seat angle he’s using- all the way up. How about a screen shot from 30 seconds later after he says “this is much more comfortable”? And he’s in the Limited which cuts headroom significantly.

The half inch more legroom up front (noticeable, I’m 6’4”) and 1.5 inches more legroom in back, equal headroom is the Consumer Reports measurement with the seats in their standard positions.

3 Likes

VW gets three years free charging at Electrify America. Free charging is for sure an advantage!

I have driven about 25k+ miles across all trims of model 3, the Y LR, and the base Mustang Mach E.

The Y is the most expensive yet it’s my least favorite.

All versions of the 3 excel at being sport sedans, which make for a favorable trade off better ride and handling. The MME excelled at being a comfy family crossover.

The Y sucks at being comfortable and it sucks at anything dynamic except straight line speed. Worst of both worlds.

Thank you! This is so helpful.

I’m not crying poor, but I can relate to living in a HCOL area, shouldering a large mortgage and having young kids. We’re not flush with cash either so paying $7,500 over is a tough pill to swallow.

LOL at that Ioniq photo.

2 Likes

That’s why I got the ID4… plenty of legroom in the rear and it’s super comfortable to take a road trip in. For one pay I like the Ioniq 5 but huge discounts are to be had on the ID4 with tons of inventory. $7500 is cap cost reduction. I did a buyout right after signing the lease on mine. We also can’t discredit the Ariya. If someone wants a lease with a low payment it’s a good deal but not a great option for buyout due to the $7500 not being cap cost reduction.

We should do a recommended EV’s to hack thread lol

1 Like

I expect Tesla to pass through the credit in the future as another method to increase demand. When will this happen? Prob when the fed rapidly drops interest rates.

How would that work? $37500 Model 3 minus $7500 lease credit, and $30000 residual, so $1000 one pay to cover interest.

Did you do lease and buy out? How long did it take to get the account # after signing? And what’s your interest rates for the car loan? I got 5K MSRP + 7.5K also. Wondering if leasing .0024 MF versus 6.09 credit union interest is better. Haven’t done the calculations yet. Thanks!

These questions should be directed to an ID4 thread.

I got a 4,24 rate… it’s higher now for sure. account number about a week or ten days after the deal closed. I called VW credit to get it and bought it out.

Had a Y for 2 years, ride was harsh and regen was too harsh for my other driver. Tech and features are great and storage is most in class. But interior seating space goes to the Ioniq 5, both front and rear.

Then there is the stuff like driver display, physical controls but that’s all subjective. But dedicated blind spot monitors and cross traffic detection is non existent on the Y, and the driving aids are on par with Tesla and has stuff like lane change assist that the base Y does not have.

My rec is you really need to drive both but our household prefers the Ioniq 5.

When did you get the loan?

April I did a signed post about my deal…