Best time to buy/lease a Honda Clarity or Accord Hybrid in 2019

Looking at the 2018 clarity the best time last year for NYS area was October , November and December.
For the 2019 numbers you have to wait i think until March.
Below pleaee find link to 2018 clarity incentives.

So bad for clarity 2019 vs 2018 end of the year

I’ve just made the rounds at a few dealerships recently, the Clarity is def my favorite car out of all the ones I’ve tried. I’m only looking to lease a car because my boss is giving me $400 a month extra just to do so (the transmission just went on my last car which was over 20 years old so whatever) and this is my first time doing anything like that.

Unfortunately I can’t seem to get any dealer to go down to the range that I’ve seen people quote around here, in the higher $300’s / month with around $2k downpayment. That would be ideal but from what I understand, last year the dealership was passing some portion of the $7,500 tax credit + $1,700 state rebate to the customer (roughly $6,300 was passed on to the lessee according to salespeople I interviewed)

It looks like Honda’s just pocketing all the incentive money right now, for a Touring 2019 Clarity I was quoted $685mo/ $2k Das / 15k miles / 36mo which ironically makes a similarly spec’d Accord Hybrid over $100/mo cheaper! (550mo / 2kDas / 15k / 36mo miles for Accord EXL)

According to Dept. of Energy pages, the Tax and State incentives are still in play. What happened?
Like, I still might lease an Accord Hybrid or even Insight if they keep pulling strings like this, but it’s started to kind of turn me off from Honda entirely. If I could scare up a few more grand for downpayment I could be rolling in a Model 3 for lower monthly payments! Why don’t they see this as a threat?

They don’t really care is they sell the car… so no, other evs are not a threat to them. You didn’t mention, but I assume you are talking about the phev not the ev version. Its competition is not the other evs anyway, it’s the Volt that just got discontinued.
If this is your first time, especially on a car like this, I suggest you hire a broker. You will find the right car, you just need to find the right dealer.

I think you’re correct, I was able to find a broker in Brooklyn that’s still offering 2018 Clarity for half what the dealership quoted me on a 2019 one!

Thanks for that advice, I’m going to pursue that lead further

Well last year it was May…

2 Likes

Inventory is drying up on Claritys and gas prices are going up. I’ve turned down about 10 offers and “what’s your BEST price?” emails since the start of this month because my dealership only has one of them. At one point I had more Type R’s than Claritys - but then my team sold two Type-R’s in one day (I figured you guys wanted to hear more about my Type R dominance).

Try to find a dealership that still has a lot in stock.

2 Likes

I would also suggest you take a look at the base Clarity…I personally don’t think the touring is worth it over the base. If you are tight on the $ it would be wise not to stretch your payment just because your boss covers $400. Take the free car.

Questions for those in the know: is Honda likely to offer the same incentives come October 2019 like they did back in 2018?

Nobody can answer that. It all depends on supply/demand. Could be better, could be the same or could be worse.

is there a way to find out loyalty incentives?

I currently see 1/2 local dealers advertising $750 loyalty towards a accord/odyssey for having a honda 2009 or newer in the household.

That’s all there is for Honda. For the Odyssey you need to have an Odyssey. For the Accord you can have any Honda in the household. Has to be 2009 or newer for both.

Can anyone comment on the 36mo lease offers for base Honda Clarity I am getting in the NorCal bay area?
This is my first time considering a lease, so please excuse any mistakes or misunderstanding on my part.
I saw that the current manufacturer offer is $2999 down with $329/mo for 36 months (assuming this does not include tax, title, DMV, etc.?)
The dealerships I have talked to say they are not participating in this offer and the best offer I have gotten is $2999 down and $395/mo with taxes and fees included.
Is that a reasonable offer?
Thanks!

Yes…for the dealer. Move on to the next one.

I see. I’ve talked to a couple of dealerships now and couldn’t find anyone willing to offer even the manufacturer deal.
I also mentioned the $6000 discount going on right now, as well as the $7500 federal tax credit, but they are saying that the credit goes to Honda Financial Services instead of the dealership.
Feeling quite lost as it seems like prices were a lot lower this time last year, but not sure what price I should be looking for right now.

What trim is this?

This is for the base trim.

You should aim for under $400 with 0 down. Not the deal from earlier in the year but not much you can do since Honda dropped some of the incentives. Email all of them and also talk to the dealers and brokers we have on the forum…but most importantly, be patient and don’t rush into anything.

You can purchase this car for $26k plus tax and license and receive a $7,500 fed rebate AND $1,500 CA state rebate AND $1000 SCE rebate for a ending price of $16,000 plus tax and license. Search SlickDeals.com

If you lease the tax credit goes to HFS, if you purchase it goes to you. The $6,000 is dealer cash which a dealer can choose to give you all, some, or none of. Try finding a dealership that has a lot of them. Some (like mine) only have a few so we don’t negotiate with terrorists on them.

1 Like