Best option to get out of a 2018 Tiguan SEL lease 10 payments left

(FL) Have 10 months left on my 2018 Tiguan SEL ($384/month) I put $0 down (still not best deal, but whatever). Am not using the car much due to pandemic and both wife and I are working from home. Residual price is $18,855, not sure if there is a disposition fee (can’t find the lease documents).

I’m at roughly 16k miles out of 30k on the contract.
Lease is through VW Credit.

So 10 payments left $3,849.50 + the $18,855 = $22,705. Carvana offered me $21,950.

Taking it in to the dealership to have them check it out and make me an offer. Would love for them to just take the car and I save myself the last payments + insurance, how realistic is that? Anything else I should be considering?

The car is in excellent condition save for one ding on the door, and a plastic reflector that needs to be replaced on the bumper.

Try vroom and whatever other buyers are available near you including carmax. Should be no disposition if it’s bought out.

2 Likes

You need to call and ask for your dealer payoff. VW can up your payoff if it’s going to a dealer.

3 Likes

Try vroom. Wait until the last few hours of the offer, see if they send you an E-mail offering you more. My girlfriend just bought a used car, so just out of curiosity I got quotes for selling it. Vroom offered 13,450 and 48 hours to accept the offer. 40 or so hours later they sent an offer for $13,950. She just bought the car, so she wasn’t planning on selling it, but it would be worth waiting the 2 days to see if they offer a little more!

2 Likes

Does VW consider Carvana/Vroom as a dealer? I thought they only consider their dealers as ‘dealers’ and consider Carvana/Vroom as guys with licenses that sell cars.

They are considered a third party dealer.

Thread is pointless without this info. OP’s negative equity is going to be a lot higher than initially assumed.

OP, PM me to reopen when you have it and have read the LH article on exiting/terminating leases early.

2 Likes