Best move for cheap commuter car

I need a cheap commuter car in NJ to hold up until the market cools down, let’s say 2yrs. My commute is 3miles each way.

Trying to figure out the best move here for least cash spent, would appreciate any help. I don’t really care what car/make/model it is. My only requirement is working AC.

I tried looking for some $3-5k cars on craigslist, but that site is littered with shady people trying to flip cars that barely run with sleezy repairs.

I’m debating the following

• Buy a Corolla ~$25k then sell it in 2yrs
  • Lease a Tacoma if they come in around $250/month
  • Find some other way to get a decent used car without paying too much

It’s been mentioned in other threads that the Nissan Frontier can be leased pretty cheaply.

2 Likes

A Tacoma isn’t going to come in at an effective $250 / month payment.

Have you checked on the NextDoor app, occasionally people are selling decent vehicles on that app. Ask around with friends and at work and see if someone knows of something like Uncle Joe selling his Corolla, etc…

I’m on ND here in Monmouth Co. NJ, there’s no bargins buys popping up. 10-12yr old Honda’s and Toyota’s w/ 140k miles, for $12k is not a good deal. People are still expecting top dollar for older cars.

Buy a Corolla hybrid.

May I interest you in an Electric BIKE? Also look into NEV which are short range 25mph EV’s such as Kandi Motors

1 Like

Public transportation or rideshare?

Nothing on NextDoor – it’s rough out there.

And you’re right – not sure why I was thinking $250 for Tacoma. Maybe I was still thinking of the good old days.

Thought of a bike but won’t work on hot/rainy/cold days. Don’t want to show up at work sweaty/wet.

No public transport – I’m doing Uber now, but prices are high ~$30-40/day.

purchase a civic

1 Like

This would be a good solution for most other states.

In NJ you should consider an EV:

No state sales tax on EVs
Federal tax credit up to $7,500
State tax credit up to $4,000

More details in ⚡️ endeavorauto / VW / ID.4 / leases starting at $314 (36/7.5) + inceptions DAS, Up to $2000 off MSRP + CUNJ

1 Like

If you want beater, also consider a used Nissan Leaf with a degraded battery, sometimes if you get lucky you can find some online selling for almost dirt. This crazy car market has made these cars appreciate way too much, but some gems fall through the cracks. Unless the car is in desperate need of new tires or brakes you won’t need to do anything maintenance wise to them, they’re pretty rock solid aside for the battery degradation. Strictly charge it at free stations to make your operating cost practically free, goes for any EV.

2 Likes

Can’t find any EV that qualifies in stock unfortunately. Even that ID4 has a wait for several months.

1 Like