Best Mid-Size or Compact Crossover Under $350/mo?

Excuse the long post, but this is my first lease ever, and first time getting a new vehicle for myself (wife always gets the new vehicle and I get the hand-me-down), and could really use some help. I’ll get all my info out of the way - let me know if I’m missing anything:

State: Michigan
Tax rate: 6% (on lease payments)
Desired term: 36mo (or 24 mo if better deal)
Desired miles: 15k/year
Desired price: <$350 with $0 down (except 1st month)
Current vehicles: 2x Ford, both paid off and in good shape, so no need to get into something immediately

I’m looking for a stylish small/medium SUV with AWD/4WD at 24/15 or 36/15. After a lot of research (before looking at prices and coming here), I was sold on a Mazda CX-5 GT AWD. I love everything about it, especially the exterior design and how well it drives, except for no CarPlay. But with 0 incentives currently and apparently very little wiggle room on price, I can barely get an '18 GT under $400. I don’t get it.

So I’m looking for alternatives at a bit lower price point (<$350) since it really doesn’t appear that this car leases well at all. I’d really like to be able to maintain many of the creature comforts I was looking at with the CX-5 - AWD/4WD, heated seats, leather, moonroof, safety features (for my young child), and good fuel efficiency.

The only vehicles I’m not terribly interested in are the Equinox (I live in a GM factory town and they are everywhere) or any Subaru - their styling really doesn’t appeal to me. I also don’t particularly want a vehicle that’s about to be redesigned. Other than that, I’m pretty open. Since I don’t need a vehicle immediately, I don’t mind waiting for any debuting models or redesigns this year. I haven’t looked at any luxury offerings as I expect I can’t get what I want under $350, but correct me if I’m wrong.

Thanks, and I appreciate the conversation and advice.

1 Like

Try True care to look for the car…there are bunch of options out there for $350…but the 15k/year is going to be a deal breaker…

You might be able to get a QX60 depending on whether you can do MSD and get VPP

1 Like

Envision?20202020202020

This would be my suggestion as well, but 15K will be difficult at $350 or less… I’d venture 15K puts him at $380 or above depending on what he qualifies for.

@Fade I’m in Michigan too. Southwest of Ann Arbor about 15 miles. Where are you located?

Yeah, the 15k is a necessity. I travel a decent amount for work and likely need a higher-mileage agreement in order to make a lease work. We just recently purchased a fully loaded Explorer in 2017, so I would prefer not to do another purchase right now (maybe at the end of this potential lease).

Envision is a possibility, but it it looks very long in the tooth to me. I have considered the Terrain and honestly it seems like a good alternative. I also really, really like the styling of the '19 Santa Fe. Since I don’t need a vehicle immediately, I may check that out - although I don’t know if Hyundais lease well?

@changehiphop I live just south of Lansing. Makes shopping easy enough since I’m a commutable distance to any side of the state. With an Infiniti, could I get that low without putting money down?

Also, if it matters, I do have some plan pricings through my employer - Chrysler, Ford X-Plan, Volvo A-Plan. I also have Costco and Sam’s memberships, which I know offer certain pricing on different makes.

You own 2 Fords but you didn’t mention the Escape. I just drove a loaded 2018 Titanium for a week and I liked it. You should be able to lease one easily for 350, especially since the model has been around for years and every other crossover has/is getting refreshed.

Hyundai typically lease well. The current Santa Fe leases very well when loaded, and compares well in the segment. 15K will put you in a 36 or 39 month lease to meet your $350 target. The QX60 is winning the lease game in the segment currently as dealers are gutting them on discounts, I’ve seen 20% off MSRP in some deals. However, there really aren’t any incentives on them, so YMMV.

All lease deals here are recommended zero money down. Cap Cost Reduction via down-payment isn’t recommended and typically puts you at risk if you total the vehicle. Insurance will not pay you back on your money down.

I’m currently in a similar boat as you, but a bit higher ceiling on payment. Debating between Land Rover Discovery, QX60, XC90, etc… I have 3 months to figure it out.

Car Play will be coming to the CX-5 and can be added to existing models without it. I read that on a CX-5 forum about a month ago. There was a press release from Mazda about it.

https://www.mazda.ca/en/inside-mazda/ny-auto-show/

While the Escape Titanium is really nice, it has a ridiculously low RV that makes it almost impossible to get a decent deal. In April the residual was 48% and the MF was high…I was getting quotes for over $400/month w/$2000 down on a ~$35,000 car.

Ah, good to know. Thanks.

1 Like

I got a crack from reading this. I’m actually on the same boat. Looking to lease SUV below $400, but haven’t been able to spot decent deals (at least for the ones I’m considering). I haven’t started contacting dealers, but from checking diff forums, the only decent deals for SUV in this price range are limited to outgoing RDX, Forester, Infiniti and Chevy’s lineups. I wish 2017 X3 is still available for lease. GLC and the new X3 do not seem to lease well. Same with Volvo. I’m thinking to not force it and switch gear to sedan, which should serve 95% of my needs. If you can wait until next year, with the new RDX and Forester coming out, I think Mazda will be under pressure to discount more for CX-5, unless they somehow come up with the golden formula (panoramic, carplay AA, bigger engine).

How about the new Jeep Compass? It got the looks, I think it’ll make wifey happy. But I just can’t swallow fwd Jeep (reliable 6 speed) and very cautious with 4x4 modl which comes with 9 speed ZF transmission issue (not just Jeep, MDX, TLX, pilot are plagued with issues).

Ah, this gives me headache. I just want to enjoy my Miata and buy a GTI or wagon. But shopping for a car is always more exciting than not :slight_smile:

Keep us updated with deals you encounter please.

There was a comment on here within the last week that everyone in Michigan got VPP, in order to compete with Big 3 employee programs.

My Chevy dealer is offering an Equinox lease for $169+tax with first month and registration due at signing. Sadly, it is a 39 month lease.

What trim of Equinox is it and is it 15 miles/ yr?

It was an LS and 10k miles for $169 39 month 55% residual

An ad is always going to attempt to show the lowest headline number …so it will almost always show the base trim and lowest miles allowed by the finance company…

1 Like

Not a great deal. GM doles out better deals every year

I agree that it is not the greatest deal but is there a better deal on an SUV right now? My wife’s lease ends next week and we need to move quick on something and trying to stay under $200 a month with just first month and registration out of pocket. My lease ends next month and hoping for a deal on a Giulia.

I pulled the trigger on an 2018 Equinox LS lease. $26600 MSRP. 39 month lease which I don’t like since the warranty is 36 months. $167 a month + tax and doc fee so it ended up $197 a month with $0 out of pocket and 38 payments due. Not a stellar deal but seemed decent to me. Leasehackr score of 11.6.

1 Like