Best Manufacturers to Lease?

I am in Los Angeles area, 9% tax rate

Went around and test drove a Civic, Jetta, and Corolla. Was most impressed by the Jetta. Most comfy/slick interior and best performance. Civic was close second, Corolla felt cheap and a far away third. Would be fun to have push-to-start.

For those who have kindly helped in this thread, can you verify if these are the correct next steps?

1. Decide final trim. Going with 1.4t SE, but unsure about with connectivity or not. Probably not. Donā€™t feel the need for leather seats nor the better wheels or nav. Opinions?
  2. Follow this guide to get lowest selling price: http://www.realcartips.com/guide/newcars.shtml (TrueCar says I can get $4k off MSRP here in LA, what do you guys think a good deal here would be?)
  3. Research, internalize, and then begin to negotiate the lease terms. Focus on $0 down (should this be done in person or over email?). I wonder if I can get under $150/mo.
  4. Walk in with a printed copy of what they offered me and take nothing higher?

@jmac63 @vhooloo

@taikis I am also looking for better deal in LA.
I did check out with toyota glendale for corolla s , had a bad experience with them. The sales person refused to provide the breakdown and gave $200 as final. Ended up walking out. But any way you are not going for toyota.

Before going to the dealer you need to know the MF, residual and average selling price. If they come to know you are leasing , selling price will change. Without these you wont able to know whether it is a good deal or not.

Less than $150 is bit tough unless you hit up with a good salesperson who wants to finish his quota. I am looking for less than 180 with little success. Did you checkout with VW glendale what was their offer?

You can keep this as bench mark to compare your offer (http://www.vwhayward.com/ManagersSpecial). Mind it this will be only for few cars, when I called them up they said all those cars are gone ;-(.

Good luck let me know how it goes. do post the info once you are done with buying/leasing.

@xtpradeep those numbers look good.
can you let me know which dealer and provide me with sales person details. Was it for 36/12k ?

It was 24/12kā€¦ I leased from dch Toyota Simi valleyā€¦i donā€™t remember the salesperson nameā€¦

1 Like
  1. Make sure you look at the trim you decide on in person at a dealership and go for another test drive if necessary. That way when you are ready to make a deal, you wonā€™t need to worry about if you will like the car or not and you donā€™t even need to go for a test drive. I love the 1.8T Sport, but you wonā€™t find it for $150.

2. Those steps seem pretty thorough. When you configure your car on TrueCar, be aware that it will automatically add in purchase incentives. You can edit them out near the bottom of the page.

3. Once you have the lowest price before incentives, ask for the current residual, MF, and lease incentives on here or the edmunds.com forums. Then use the lease calculator to determine how much it would cost. If you like the price, ask a dealer if they would be able to do it. If they say yes, ask other dealers if they can beat it.

4. Yes, but you probably wonā€™t even need to do that. My salesperson called and wanted to know if he could get to my price, would I be ready to come in and sign that day.

thx a lot for the info .

Re: #1:

Iā€™ve found Edmunds to be better than even most OEM websites at clearly laying out what each trim or package adds up on top of the preceding one.

ā€œThe Connectivity package adds a sunroof, a leather-wrapped steering wheel, driver lumbar adjustment, ā€œV-Texā€ premium vinyl upholstery, a rear center armrest and a six-speaker sound system with an enhanced Car-Net systemā€ to the 1.4 SE.

Personally I hate the wheels on the SE and would welcome any change, even the nondescript ones on the Conn. packageā€¦also IMO Iā€™d want the sunroof, lumbar, and presumably better audio/infotainment for about 10% more (probably not super relevant for a lease, but if Vtex is anything like MBtex it should last a very very long time and be more resistant to wear/tear).

I agree on not wanting leather, bigger wheels and nav.

What was the sales price? Did you qualify for any specific rebates?

Iā€™m guessing MSRP $20,900; MF .00042; and RV 62% for 36/12?

Selling price was $18500, MSRP was $21000. MF was .00074 RV 73% for 24/12 was my dealā€¦ There was a $1000 manufacturer incentive.

1 Like

If you are in So Cal, give Sam Hong a call (818)618-2427 @ South bay Toyota, it was awesome working with him. Straightforward.

Hey, my first quotes from folks are roughly in the $180-$190 range. Iā€™m hoping that I can drive them all down a bit, but the question is by how much.

I unfortunately ā€œbrokeā€ and just ended up asking them all for what the untaxed monthly would be on a true $0 drive off/down car. I did start with just negotiating the selling price, but honestly dealing with all the calculations and rebates and nuances of getting to the true monthly was a less straightforward process than I have time for.

Did you not get the complete numbers from them, like residual and MF. If so you can calculate it yourself. If you dont have the numbers check around the forum for residual & MF and do the math. Adjust the final sales price accordingly to get your monthly payment of $190 or 180 including tax.

If you insist that the final number should be inclusive of taxes then they may make changes based on the vehicle popularity (not honda, they are selling like hotcakes).

Labor day is next month , there will be some good incentives like that of Independence day.

By the way which car did you choose & where ?

Hi everyone, hereā€™s the final update! The deal I got was after having more than 10 dealerships in SoCal bid and just trying to see which one was willing to give me the best deal. Ended up being VW Van Nuys, ask for Farshid.

2016 Jetta SE Auto
$0 Drive Off, $0 Down, $0 Due at Signing, whatever you call it.
MSRP $21,315
Residual 52%
MF .00005
Monthly: $171+tax
Selling Price: $16515

2 Likes