Best Insurance Pay Out?

My car was rear ended by another car (Enterprise). I filed a claim through his insurance company (Elco), and they are taking 100% responsibility for the accident. Their appraiser will come see the car, can write me a check for the repairs, and then I will have a friend of mine repair the damages (for cheap) at another time.
Is it better to go through his insurance company (Elco) and have their appraiser come look at the car? Or is it better for my insurance company (Allstate) come appraise my damages and write me a check, who will then later get the balance/deductible out of Elco?
Will there be a surcharge/premium if I go through my insurance instead, etc?
Is this a better method than just taking it to an autobody shop and having the shop deal with the claim and repairs?

Go with your insurance (Allstate) after they pay out they will go after the other insurance company to reclaim the funds.

1 Like

Will this affect my insurance and premium etc?

Not if you’re not at fault.

And how about rental car? Who would I go through? Thanks

Your insurance company will cover all the expenses later will go after the other parties insurance company to reclaim the $

Let’s be clear. Insurance companies don’t get excited about writing checks.

1 Like

So which route is best?

Regardless which route you take make sure to push for diminished value and get a bit more.

1 Like

Personally if it’s the other guy’s fault go through his insurance. As BCC said above, Insurance cos are not thrilled about cutting checks. Best to keep your policy out of it if you can.

6 Likes

How do you push for diminished value?
Can I do this by just giving his insurance company (Elco) an estimate and not having the appraiser come look at the car?

No need to even tell Allstate about this. Have the other party’s insurance pay, and make sure everything is done exactly to your satisfaction—including diminished value. Unleash your inner Phil Leotardo: https://youtu.be/BlUM887Cuus

6 Likes

Allstate already knows… I reported the accident to them
I went through them first, and I saw they were twiddling their thumbs, so I just went straight to Elco.

I can tell you a long drawn out story about my last accident, but the punch line (from my insurance company, echoed by theirs) was: whomever you start the insurance claim with is who you finish it with

The party who owns the car (the leasing company) has standing to request diminished value, you don’t.

Now if you haven’t told their insurance company it’s leased, you can ask, and some people have reported getting those claims paid, but if you ask and they decline - you’re done.

1 Like

gamyrjay

1h

Will this affect my insurance and premium etc?

If you go through your own Insurance company, you will have to pay whatever is your deductible. You will not get that back.

It’s always better not to involve your insurance company.

If you have a claim on your name, even it’s not your fault, It’s still a claim, insurance companies don’t like claims whatsoever. They like to collect your premium and don’t bother them with anything :smile: :smile:

2 Likes

What do you mean I am done?
So other than push for diminished value, what else can I do to get the most payout? Get high estimates for the appraiser?

Is this a better method than just taking it to an autobody shop and having the shop deal with the claim and repairs?

Only accept OEM parts, insist work be done at a dealer for your brand (they will outsource the body work), make sure you have a rental allowance that matches your class of car…

1 Like

If you ask for diminished value and they decline, you don’t need to press further because you aren’t getting it. But you can ask.