Best deal for electric/hybrid with California HOV sticker

The MB C350e is on list in your link.

Tried my best to recreate but yeah I think that’s basically it. All-in 3 year cost will be about $9,000-$9,500, minus the CA and PG&E rebates of $3,000 total. Potential to make money at the end due to low residual

Has HOV green sticker expiration been pushed back? I thought it was January 2019.

Depends on when you first get a sticker. If you get it between Jan '17 and Jan '19 you can get the next one when they release it, which is valid until Jan '22:

https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/resources/fact-sheets/californias-clean-air-decals

Can you guys help out how to find this deal. I am pretty new to LH.

you can get an audi etron

Nobody is here to spoonfeed you a deal. You need to do the legwork yourself or hire a broker. Search the forum to find out how to negotiate

I wasnt asking to be spoonfed, I only wanted more information on what kind of deal this is with Ford. Arrogant prick.

4 Likes

All of the information you need is in that post. No need to resort to name calling

3 Likes

I’m in the same boat. EV/plug-in leases are not as good as they were a few years ago. I have a 2016 eGolf with the HOV sticker. My lease is up in October and I have the option to buy the car for cheap, but my sticker expires in January. I called the ARB and asked if there is any way to apply for new stickers, and they said no. I could technically lease the the same model and get the red HOV sticker, but they are considerably (50%) more expensive than my current lease.

The plug-in hybrids with less than 30-mile range are pointless for me because I get free charging at work and would rather have someone else foot my fuel bill. The Volt is the best option - it’s the closest thing to a ICE car and leases are reasonable at $250 - $300/mo. However the incentives have been dry for the last few months so it’s hard to replicate deals from the past. I’ll hold my breath for a one-pay lease later this year. The Leaf is also interesting but they don’t lease well anymore.

The other option is to buy a 2017+ EV (i3, Focus, Leaf, etc.) with no previous HOV sticker. But you’re on leasehackr, not buyhackr, so that probably won’t work.

I was in the same boat, but I commuted from East Bay to San Mateo, where carpool lane had very little advantage coming home. I am returning my Leaf and may even consider a Clarity fuel cell (although it is dorky). I finally took a pay cut and work in the East Bay cause the commute was just killing me. Looks like sub 400 e-tron premium plus is doable (at least in SoCal).

I recommend to lease a Honda Clarity PHEV, mainly because of the large EV range (47 miles EPA, we get 60 miles) and it’s a spacious 5-seater with huge trunk from a very reliable automaker. Includes adaptive cruise control on all models. Honda might give you $10K off the price, which is $7K dealer credit for federal tax credit (only in ZEV states like CA) and another $3K off if you negotiate well. Then the lease will be based on a low sale price and you’ll get a good monthly lease payment. U.S. Clarity PHEV sales went up 60% from April to May (from 1000 to 1600) so deals might be drying up by now. Biggest drawback is that the base model seats are average and non-powered, and the nice Touring/leather trim with power seat and leather wheel costs $3K more. Make sure the driver seat is comfortable for you. Best day to buy is end of the quarter (June 30th, Sept 30th, Dec 31st). Good luck.

My mistake. You’re right @Jon. I was looking for that vehicle under BMW.

Clarity PHEV also qualifies for $1500 CVRP state rebate if lease is longer than 30 months, I think.

1 Like

Correct, if you live in California you can get the California CVRP rebate for any EV or plugin lease longer than 30 months. Plugin Hybrids like Honda Clarity will give you a check for $1500 unless you’re a low-income person and in that case you’ll get $3500.

1 Like

Do you know if this is based on my expected income in the coming tax year, or my income on the last tax year, etc?

I second the Honda Clarity Electric suggestion. I have one and they are pretty nice (though I am indifferent on the exterior styling) and quite nice to drive. Another suggestion is the 2013 Honda Fit EV’s if you can find one. I heard that certain dealerships are re-leasing the lease returns, but I’m uncertain about the terms. I would think think they should be awesome (thinking - $200 a month). I am turning in my Honda Fit EV this week which has been my East Bay to Peninsula work horse for 4 years.

Prior tax year as you submit the rebate request immediately (not as part of CA taxes).

1 Like

I’d like to get a Clarity Electric too, but someone here on another thread said the wait time is like a year to get one. I have not talked to any dealers yet here in norcal.

My understanding is:
Clarity Electric - 89 EPA miles per charge. No gas engine. Only sold in a couple states, super cheap lease.
Clartiy Plugin Hybrid - 47 EPA miles per charge. Gas engine gets 42MPG. Sold in all 50 states.