Best cash back credit cards

Up to $750** with a baseline of $200k.

The $1k offer has expired.

2 Likes

Interested in this Discover offer, but appears to just be a referral code. Is there a link with the details of this card? Thanks,

Discover it miles

God help you if try to use that “travel card” outside the US. :smiley:

And of course, this one never gets old.

2 Likes

Lol, I think diners club still exists. You’ll still find places outside the US that don’t do Amex either.

1 Like

Joking aside, I wouldn’t discourage anyone from taking Discover’s 3% for a year (I’ve done it a couple of times). It’s a solid suggestion. :+1:

1 Like

At face value, I would agree that a broad 3% back is a good deal. What do discover miles translate to in terms of value? Honestly too lazy to research atm. :sweat_smile:

Discover is one company that I’ve never dabbled in, at least that I can recall. Most of their products seem very entry level, targeting the largest possible market imo.

1 Like

Another likely unknown “trick” is there are situations where you’re actually able to downgrade a miles earning card into a cash back card…and the miles convert directly into cash, which you may spend as too please. No restrictions or devaluations. From my experience, some of the travel portals you are forced to use don’t always offer the best overall deals. The added flexibility is nice; my latest one I had a check mailed to me so I could invest the money, rather than it sitting stagnant on the credit card account.

I recently finished my one year with an it miles card. The miles easily converted dollar for dollar to statement credit to offset purchases or transfer to your bank. Heres my redemption portal. Travel cash or use on amazon or PayPal

I have a traditional discover card with bonus categories which offers a gift card store too.

1 Like

First cc ever was discover it
They were great and still are
Nothing like having a US customer service agent when you need to speak to someone

2 Likes

Yeah they really are the best when you have to talk to someone “this is ______ in Phoenix”… some of the other cards are getting better with quality of service but it really depends on the level of your relationship with the bank where they route you. They can pay a rep $2 an hour in India or the Philippines or 10x that in the us.

2 Likes

@harrydogyo already did the math. :abacus:

They aren’t “miles,” in any sense of the word.

No airline accepts them. You cannot transfer them.

You just redeem them for one penny each as a statement credit, whether you’ve purchased anything travel-related or not.

“Miles” is just a disingenuous marketing gimmick to make you think they offer a card tailored for travelers. They do not.

[Somewhere I have a photo I grabbed of a ticket window at the Eiffel Tower, showing that they accept MasterCard, Visa, American Express, a couple of other options I didn’t recognize – and checks. But not Discover.]

If this is the measure of greatness, you’d absolutely hate dealing with my spouse and well over half of our friends. :smiley:

1 Like

Damn how are you so well connected with overseas customer service agents?!

Why are you optimizing for Pennies though? Like I have like 6 Chase Inks I am working on the bonus right now, 90k each after just $6k spend, 20k referral for each of them.

That’s almost 700k in UR.

On top of that AMEX keeps throwing No Lifetime Language offers, grabbed another Biz Gold and Biz Plat for about 260k MR.

2 Likes

This is a cash-back credit card thread, so I only went through those types of cards in that table.

Much of our spending goes other places for other reasons, some for sign-up bonuses (~$3k in bonuses in the past few months), some on my AA card to help renew EP status, etc.

Renewing my status is actually my first priority for spending, because I get upgrades comped ~80% the time, and fly on my own dime at least 3 or 4 times a month.

But I don’t like to put groceries on the AA card, for example, for 1 mile/$. I’d rather have 6% back from my Amex BCP (current year has no AF thanks to an upgrade offer).

It’s a ball of twine, but it works for me.

1 Like

AA status is super easy though. Pay cars, mortgage etc on the AA card and do the shopping bonuses. I am Plat Pro right now but EP should be easy. IMO you should be working smarter when it comes to this. AA is having huge shopping bonuses right now even and they all count towards Loyalty.

Unless you don’t have much spend, there is no reason to chase pennies for cashback. Every spend can goto meeting a bonus if you lay a strategy down and know the ins and outs of approval with different issuers.

For one thing, we don’t have any car payments or a mortgage.

1 Like

Even then AA is doing stupid bonuses over at AAdvantage. FM made a very good breakdown to earn status without ever flying.

What banks and auto lenders accept direct CC payments, and if so, without a fee?

Most people would have to go through something like Plastiq to pay with a CC and the 2.9% Plastiq fee kills your rewards. If you are a 3% cash back CC user, netting the .1% for $1 on $1k is not a great deal. Unless you are just opening cards nonstop to chase reward bonuses, have like 10 Plastiq referrals a month or are buying a million money orders with CCs to pay your large monthly bills this really makes no sense at all.

The Plastiq fees are more than offset by the signup bonuses.

I was doing silly things with credit cards, Plastiq and a HELOC for a while.