Best bang for your buck, sub 500 and sub 350

How good? Sub $450/mo?

I’d be curious what deals people are getting on the XC60 too, @mattevan

I just made my second to last payment so for me, if I was to turn my car in early, I’d calculate how long it would take me to “break even”. It would have to be worth it emotionally too since I have 4500 miles left on this lease too.

My current payment for the QX60 is $500 a month due to negative equity rolled in and because this was before I met you Hackrs.

I would prefer a 2-row SUV or sedan. 3 is too many for me. I’m actually driving my wife’s old car. I turned my car in for an Odyssey.

Loyalty makes these deals in the absence of extraordinary discounts or other super stacks like OL, college grad and USAA in place of.

But yeah…BMW is pretty much the default answer for everything on LH.

So demos are a better because they are “used”. Is there any thing else to be aware of? It looks like the rule of thumb is an additional 1% discount for each 1,000 miles.
How about a 2018, would there be a rule of thumb in this case? I see a few MB and BMW demos that are 2018s.

This is a stupid question, but for some reason I got this impression after reading a post so I have to double check. If i do a 10k/24m on a demo with 4000 miles, I still get 24000 miles, right? The one post made it seem as though I only get 20,000.

@Electric unfortunately no OL code for me. I registered for the BMW Portland drive event but didn’t get to attend and never got an OL code. Registered for the SoCal event but haven’t received an OL code yet. Worst case, I’ll have to prenegotiate a deal, drive down there for the event, and get my OL code.

Lease support is over for 2018s. You would get the full 20k miles meaning if the car has 4K miles when you lease it you’re allowed to turn it in with up to 24k miles without penalty.

Loaners are better because in general dealers are willing to discount them more. The reason for wanting more discount with more miles is because additional mileage impacts your lease end residual which impacts your payment. You should try for more of a discount to counteract that.

What’s lease support? do you mean any leasing incentives?
If that’s the case, I would assume I could negotiate a lower msrp without any incentives just for the fact that it’s a 2018, no?

Honestly, I’m not too sure about what the lack of lease support entails as I haven’t even considered leasing a 2018 based on what I’ve read. I’ve not researched too much on it yet. I’ll let you do your own research or someone else to chime in so I don’t spread any misinformation on it.

Sorry, in your original post you were talking about a 10k mile/ 24 month lease, correct? I think that is the confusion. For 10k per year you would get what I described. For 12k miles per year you would get what you described - you would still get to drive a full 24k miles and can return it with up to 28k miles.

Lease support is both incentives and the window the leasing company (manufacturer captive and third parties) will offer to lease that year/make/model. For the vast majority, that ended months ago.

This is a message board about leasing. Not always but maybe.

The dealer said MB lease support for 2018s ended a couple months ago but did suggest I could lease through a traditional lender through my business. Has anyone had experience or know anything about this process? Would it be like the Toyota leases through Ally or USBank that I read about here? Would the MF change favorably? I’m assuming the RV would stay the same.

@jeisensc, I understand it’s a leasing forum, but all deals start with negotiating down from MSRP. My question was more: let’s say hypothetically it was June and a dealer still supported 2018 leases, what would the difference be between a 2018 and 2019 in the year 2019? It’s a different scenario than trying to negotiate down a 2020 in the year 2019.

The car I’m looking at is a E400 wagon with 2350 miles. They have it listed for $60,819, similar to what KBB says it would cost. Carguru says it’s been on the lot for 183 days.

What I’ve seen so far that lease well

Hyundai sedans

I3

Taco, tundra

4 series, 5 series

X3, GLC 350e, stelvio

Challenger, Charger sxt

You want a general answer when it depends. How old is the generation? When is the refresh/redesign coming? Is it a volume or margin make/model? Is the captive’s portfolio full or starving? Is the unit past it’s floor plan interest waiver (meaning it’s now costing dealer money).

In general when both the old and new model year are both on the ground, the dealer wants to move last year’s model. As discussed on other posts there are a variety of reason they may not want to discount specialty units no matter the age. At some point, no matter how many old year units linger, the captive won’t want them back in 2/3 years as lease returns so they end support for leasing on old units and move incentives to buy side of prior year and only lease support is on current year. Ford is notorious for this.

Wow. Thanks for the information!

The factors you mention, do I straight up ask the dealer these questions or do I have somewhere o can look? Here’s what I’ve found so far. I’m sharing and asking to see what other people may negotiate were it a lease supported previous year car to help me select a starting point. @HondaSoCal you mentioned threatening to use a previous year as a loaner, what would you price in this case? :stuck_out_tongue:

The MSRP is $76k. The 2019 engine changed from a E400 to the E450 with more torque and hp along with a couple more standard features. I’m sure this counts for a big reason why this one is still here.
The 2020 will have the same updates, slightly different front design and some more tech upgrades but not a full redesign.

The Carfax:
7/12/18 car was prepped for predelivery,
12/1/18 registered as a corporate fleet in,
12/31/18 dealer took title while in inventory/first owner reported,
3/2/19 offered for sale
8/11/19 offered for sale as CPO

I also get birthday cakes for vehicles that stick around for a year. My dealership just had a record month and we only have one 2018 left :frowning: No cake for me…

Nice. You sold 3 of them quick!

Yea when you put them in the showroom they go quickly. I have a feeling this 2018 Odyssey Elite is gonna be here for a while though.

2 Likes

I wish I knew! I just got a 2019 Ody Elite a month ago!!!

Sorry for asking again, but I want to know your thoughts before I start reaching out to a couple dealers: would I ask if the captive’s portfolio is full or starving or if it’s past its floor plan interest waiver?

your help is much appreciated!

They wouldn’t even know how to answer that question at the dealership, no.

2 Likes

They’re not going to give up that info…

2 Likes

There are a dozen people combined between manufacturer corporate and the captive who know this intimately, maybe twice as many who know it exists. It’s chopped up into bite sized KPIs for implementation. Analysts are lucky to see two years actuals in arrears. But it drives almost all their incentive behavior tor the year.

See also What are the Ally's Credit Tier requirements? S,A,B,C,D